Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:40 AM
David J Ceruti
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decisions, decisions

Hi
I'm new to the list and to Porsches - planning on buying my first 911 soon. I have been reading posts for a while and have found them very useful, though I have to translate some of the advice for local conditions (I am from South Africa)
I would welcome any advice you experienced guys can give me.
At the moment I have two choices - a red 85 carrerra 3.2 - clean seems to have had the right front fender replaced at some point in time, with a sunroof and 130,000 km (80k miles. I has recently had the clutch replaced and a new aircon condenser fitted. They want R235k (about $23.5k)for it. The other is a silver 88 3.2 very clean with no major work done on it, the G50 gearbox and about 37.5k miles for $ 27k.
I am wondering if the newer car is worth the extra money - I like the idea of the G50 box (though it seems that the previous one isn't so bad) but I am wondering what will happen to the resals value of the two cars if I put about50k miles on them over the next two years and then sell them to upgrade
Any other ideas will be most welcome
David Ceruti
Old 06-03-2002, 09:26 AM
gerry100
Pro

My opinion - go for the '88

40K less miles,G50 tranny are reason enough.

I'd be concerned about the fender replacement on the '85, What is the rest of the story?

Personally I like silver on the 911, there are a lot of red Porsche's but I think red is more of a Corvette color.

In two years the '88 with approx 90k miles should return the premium over the '85 with 130K
easily.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:15 PM
David J Ceruti
AutoX

Talking

Thanks for the advice
I don't have any more info about the fender ding. Just picked it up because the inside of the fender rim didn't have the ususl ripples from the anti-corrosion coating. Also, the car seemed a bit skittish under breaking - like the corner weights were a bit off. If I can't get the '88, I may still take it for a check-out and then decide
Can' wait to get into one of these incredible cars though
David

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions