theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

good Job Don ...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to continue my frustration. I just replaced the fuel pump. Car still will not start. I hate to have it trailered to the shop but I don't think there is much of a choice. I will be crying the blues if it is the Monotronic brain. There are just so many elements to the issue that could cause this. Guess I'll get the neighbor to crank and see if I "gottem' fire" at the sparkplug. If I remember correctly the spark plug wire goes on the tip of the tongue...........right? Until next time.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you have a bentley? Have you checked the different sensors with a multimeter? I would go through the trouble shooting guide in the bentley first if you have the time.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Multimeter it will be. I need to buy a Fluke and study, study my Bentley and hope I don't mess up something. I am tired of paying to have everything done. I ain't takin' it any more.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

reminds me of "network "

" I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore ! "
Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I was going to suggest bringing it over as I've got most of the tools you'd need, but then it dawned on me, we wouldn't have this thread if you could do that...

I'm up at Willow Springs this weekend, but if you need something next weekend, PM me.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Thank you Ed.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:52 PM
spebak
3rd Gear

I had a major start problem last year in a 86 911, and I was chasing the whole ignition circuit, and it turned out being a small fuse on the drivers side of the engine compartment behind a plastic cover. the metal on the fuse had stretched, and was shorting against the next circuit. replaced the fuse, and as soon as the short was gone, she fired right up, and has run great ever sice.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

The latest.....if anyone cares. Put in a new coil today due to no spark. Didn't do it, car won't start. So now its on to the last two things from the Bentley Guide. Reference sensor and speed sensor or the monotronic brain. Hey, I figure if I replace enough parts its bound to start...........right? To heck with buying food for the family!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sympathies. Let us know what you find.

I would share a story about my '77 but my ignition system is different and I don't want to cause any confusion.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
D.C.
Instructor

I feel your pain. A no start condition can be caused by many things.

The best suggestion is to read the Bentley, and search this forum.

I have heard that the reference sensor is a common failure for DME systems.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah I'm with Chris . I could regail you with no start stories of SCs but that would just cloud the issue. Doesn't mean we are not interested. i am VERY curious as to what you find. i think it is going to be a sensor or wiring. I profess to know NOTHING about 3.2s but i have hears that the CHT sensor can cause strange symptoms too.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I have been over on the Pelican site. In the tech section these guys are something. Long story short. It may be the sensors (yes iceman) speed and reference next to the flywheel. So I shall order them at a $142.00 each (2). I guess I shouldn't complain to much as the car is 25 years old and very little has been changed through out its life. This morning I ruled out the motronic brain as I borrowed it from the '86 and the '84 still wouldn't start. I had read numerous posts concerning no starts and alot of them points to the sensors. Iceman, something tells me you know more than you lead others to think. So I will respond to this when I install the new sensors in a week or so. I need to order them. You know, spending money on these cars is a pain.........but oh' the driving pleasure makes the pain go away.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you checked out the ignition switch?

My brother was having intermitant starting problems with his 84 Carrera and switched out the electrical portion of the ignition lock.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read this thread for the first time.

I doubt it's the motronic brain or the sensors. Yes, these can and do go bad, but that is very rare.

I'd check the easy stuff first like fuel pressure (you have to jumper the dme relay) and if you can get a helper, use a small screwdriver to remove the metal clip on one of the injector harnesses. check for about 12.5 volts. If your battery is low, contacts bad, or corroded ground, then the injectors will not open. Your motronic system needs a fair bit of power in order to run. For some reason, maybe the new gas, a lot of carrera fuel pumps have been failing lately.

If you can hear the dme relay "click" when you turn on the ignition, then it's ok. You can put your hand on it while you turn the key. Chances are, it's a blown fuse, relay, or dirty contacts, or low battery.

If you weren't so far away, I'd bring over my tools and stuff and we'd get er runnin in a few hours or less. I'm also a spares guy, and I have at least two of everything, including spare dme brain.

Get out the mutimeter, check your battery voltage and clean up your contacts and check your grounds in the engine compartment, front compartment, and on cylinder # 1 intake runner you'll see about a dozen brown and white wires. The contact for these must be clean and tight since it is the ground for your engine harness.

Quick Reply: What have I done to offend the gods?