Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new guy in the 911 world, your opion needed on this 82 SC

i want to buy a semi-daily driver.
car Desc:
This 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa has been owned by me for the past 10 years. I have not driven it in bad weather or rain.I have put 12K on it since owning it. I drive it in the summer and keep it in the garage in the winter. It is a 3 liter six clynder engine. Five speed trans.It runs and drives well. It is a good driver, not a show car.It was repainted platin metallic ( orig color) by the previous owner so the paint is at least 10 years old.There are some chips and scratches on the front of the car and edges of gas filler lid and other panels in places.There is a small dent behind the drivers door(I got the car this way).There is a small amount of rust near the battery and some rust bubbles on the hood ( look at the pictures). The dash has the typical cracks. The tan leather seats have no tears. There is a burn on the left rear seat bottom (look at picture).The tan trim on the drivers door post is puled away from kids getting into the rear seat. I have changed the oil every summer. Changed plugs, air filter, fuel filter, brake pads, tie rods and wires. The air cond has been converted to R134 with a new dryer filter. There is a Alpine CD stereo. This car is being sold as is. No warranty. Buyer pays for shipping. I can help load the car. You should come and inspect the car.
Attached Images                
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
pl
Drifting

more pic
Attached Images         
Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
pl
Drifting

main question, is rust going to be a problem for this car? i am planning to drive it thought north east winter when roads are dry.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

What are your plans for the car. It looks like it is in pretty rough shape from the pictures. If it is cheap and you don't care, then great. If this is a project car that you plan to rebuild, be careful. EWhatever you do, get a PPI so that at least you know what you are up against. Nobody will be able to tell you what they think of the deal if you don't post the asking price. Once we see that, we can also advise you if it is a good price, or if you can do better for the same price.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
pl
Drifting

the asking price is $9000
i plan to use it as semi-daily driver. i am not planning on take a project due to busy schedule with work/family.
thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

You need to get a PPI. It is hard to tell from the photo's. A PPI will identify all of the problem areas of the car including rust, and accident damge, engine issues, transmission issues, electrical issues and let you know what condition throw out parts are in like brakes, clutch, suspension, etc. Pay the money for a good PPI. As many people have said here, there is no such thing as a sub $20k porsche. you either pay $20k and get a good car or you pay $9k for a car and $11k to get it into order.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM
elpresidente
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should buy mine. It's in A LOT better shape!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elpresidente
You should buy mine. It's in A LOT better shape!
What an interesting interior.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

928 seats it looks like. Hmmmmm...
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
You need to get a PPI. It is hard to tell from the photo's. A PPI will identify all of the problem areas of the car including rust, and accident damge, engine issues, transmission issues, electrical issues and let you know what condition throw out parts are in like brakes, clutch, suspension, etc. Pay the money for a good PPI. As many people have said here, there is no such thing as a sub $20k porsche. you either pay $20k and get a good car or you pay $9k for a car and $11k to get it into order.
+100 Ask me how I know. This one looks to be in better shape, and it's a Weissach, so I paid a little more for the rarity of the options, but I will have a minimum of 20k in it before it's decent to drive regularly, assuming I ever get it done.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Alittle rough... Personally I look for a cleaner 12-15k car if you dont want to work with it... Like everyone else said... Get a PPI...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
M491
Racer

when a car looks rough in digital pictures, it's going to look REALLY rough in real life.

and that one looks rough in the pictures.

I agree with the above, I think if you spend just a few thousand more, you'll find a much, much nicer, more solid, well cared for car that will cost less to own in the long run, and be more enjoyable, too.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 AM
pl
Drifting

thank you guys. that's a lot of good advice, i will keep looking.

Quick Reply: new guy in the 911 world, your opion needed on this 82 SC