Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just wondering - wheel option photos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering - wheel option photos?

Anyone have a 80"s 911 with newer (1995-2001) 17" Porsche wheels.

I'm just playing with extra wheels in the garage and I wonder if these 17" wheels off my old 01 Boxster will bolt on, and if they will, what might they look like? They are 17" x 7" and 8.5".

These are a black and white picture of the Boxster wheels...I'm thinking they may look pretty good (very different from the Fuchs)...

Please post phots if you have any any, cup wheels, turbo, etc...
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That decision is a tough one. The original Fuchs looks so good. Something about the Fuch wheel that is such a classic look on our older cars.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's one, don't like it much. Bob
Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
bobbigham
Pro

I know I like the Fuchs, I have a nice full set of polished lips/ black centers, 16 x 7 and 9's, and it looks good, but I am just doing the playing around between the more original look and maybe something a little newer and different, like the 17" boxster wheels and then throwing the turbo steering wheel on, etc...just stuff I have laying around.

Maybe the cup style ones above look a bit old.....
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You'll need to add spacers and longer lug bolts. Changing back to the Fuchs will not be a simple matter, at that point.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on what wheels look good with the pre-89 cars. I personally think the later wheels look... not quite right.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Since I was just playing around, if they bolted right on, I would go ahead and try them, but if they take spacers and longer lugs, I probably won't mess around with it.

I just had this set of wheels all cleaned up with tires on them and was just sitting here wondering???

I spent the last year and a half getting everything back to original (basicall stock except the wider polished Fuchs), and now of course, I am looking at doing a few new things to it.

Flip/ Flop, I couldn"t possibly consider it completed, could I?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

If you have some patience, hang in there for awhile as a friend of mine is going to be coming out with Fuchs alloys in more modern dimensions (e.g., 17, 18, 19 inch).

They will be spun forged, and look precisely like the Fuchs alloys we all know, but just upsized.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you have some patience, hang in there for awhile as a friend of mine is going to be coming out with Fuchs alloys in more modern dimensions (e.g., 17, 18, 19 inch).

They will be spun forged, and look precisely like the Fuchs alloys we all know, but just upsized.
That's cool. Do you know if they will be created with the bolt patterns of the older 911's like 1978? When will these be available?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 206 Posts

I have 17" Turbo Twists that bolted right on.
Really liked them at first. Lots of grip on the track.
I've put my Fuchs back on and the car feels lighter and I now like the looks better.
The 7 1/2" and 9' twists really fill the wheel wells.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
You'll need to add spacers and longer lug bolts. Changing back to the Fuchs will not be a simple matter, at that point.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on what wheels look good with the pre-89 cars. I personally think the later wheels look... not quite right.
None of the later wheels every really look right because they all use a "front wheel drive" style offset - i.e., no lip on the wheels.

That, of course, is why they have to run spacers, and why they never look right to someone who has been around air-cooled 911s for a while.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Nothing wrong with the classic Fuchs look. I'm not looking at anything permanent. I spent too much on the new (redone) set of 7 and 9 x 16 Fuchs last year, just playing around for now. I do like the newer style 17" wheels, with machined or polished lips too.....
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

17-inch Fuchs (in one form or another) have been around for a while, using Fuchs centers welded or bolted to outer rims. Recently a company started making cast one-piece 17-inch replicas, and another guy is about to start a run of 3-piece forged ones with new forged centers.

These are Fuchs centers welded into 17-inch barrels.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Try Wheel Enhancement for photos of many Porsche OEM wheels on various cars ...

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...elDetail&id=45

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
Attached Images     
Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
That's cool. Do you know if they will be created with the bolt patterns of the older 911's like 1978? When will these be available?
Keep in mind that the bolt pattern is the least of your worries. (They are all the same for Porsche). The company name is Fuchs (yes,--like that in Germany) and they are slowly gearing up to produce these things for the more modern Porsches (I have always had a thing for the Fuchs wheel) like the 997 and 996 cars, but they will be producing them in 17 inch diameters as well to allow for older series (like the J and K cars) to use more modern rubber in 17 inch sizes). I think their timeline will be kicking this off sometime in 09.

Keep in mind that these new Fuchs will not be cast wheels (like you buy from Performance Products today) nor will they be a weld job or a three piece forged type wheel. They will be forged, single piece wheels for strength and lightness,--all that we have come to expect from Fuchs.

They will be producing them in the usual black centers or the satin aluminum (spokes) centers. Also, they will custom paint them as required.

The original Fuchs design is fairly complex,--something they are dealing with. The original Fuchs forged wheels were drop forged, followed by some machining. If you look closely at them compared to modern day manufacturing methods, they actually look fairly crude. The new Fuchs will be spun forged followed by CNC machining. The newest manufacturing coupled with design revisions to accommodate the larger diameters gets a bit complex. As Porsche as evolved to a considerably different offset over the years (starting with the 1989 964 Carrera 4) it is making it a lot harder to achieve that 'deep dish' look we are accustomed to (like Jack's beautiful 911) in present Fuchs wheels. It can be done, however. Stand by this station for updates as they get ready to release these.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
bobbigham
Pro

I think the larger cup style wheels look pretty good, not so sure about my Boxster wheels on the 928....

I think I just need to unload the boxster wheels and tire set (17" Boxster 5 spoke wheels plus Bridgestone S02"s I believe)....$500, OBO, cleaned up and in very nice condition and about 50% tread left on the tires. Prefer a local buyer as shipping would probably cost about half of the sale price.

Quick Reply: Just wondering - wheel option photos?