Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HOW ANAL ARE PORSCHE OWNERS...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HOW **** ARE PORSCHE OWNERS...?

Okay, here we go. I own a 997 and 83SC..I am wondering if newer owners are more **** than older owners. When I went on a trip with the Porsche club there where a number of people who would wake up a 5 oclock to wash their cars on a daily basis. There is also a guy on the 997 forum worried about how to fix a stripped tire valve stem. I suggested taking Prozac....if he is reading this..its all in good fun.
Sooooooo, the question..how **** are we and is there a difference between owners of newer cars vs older cars?
abe
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Daviboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not **** at all my car is for driving, right now both floor boards out carpets up, no gear **** on shifter as I cant get old one off. Car needs a wash but what the heck it does not detract from my enjoyment of the machine....
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are as many different reasons for owning a Porsche as there are Porsches, but I always enjoyed tha fact that my 81 euro with 125,000 miles on it looked nicer than some 3 year old cars. So yeah, I washed it a lot. I have been into 928s for years, and let me tell you, I will never buy another that hasn't had careful owners, for the obvious maintenance reasons. IMO, the guys who believe that the cars can be driven hard and often while still outlasting us all are largely correct. OTOH, a new engine for a 911 can cost well upwards of 10,000.00 to build, so is it **** to take fanatical care of one, or just good sense ? Ditto with 20 year old paint that still looks like new.

I would rather maintain/upgrade than rebuild/restore. I have restored a lot of european cars, and Italian cars in particular. The fact that Porsches are of such high build quality that many will never need restoration just blows me away. But, and it's a big but, I have to do my part. I went on a couple of long road trips with a black on black Porsche one summer, and never even pulled into a car wash. I found it much harder to get the car clean for the next gathering, and I was very unhappy with myself for letting it go like that. It is so much easier to keep a clean car clean than it is to try and get six month old road tar off your quarter panels the morning before a show. It is way easier to wipe bugs off the hood after a drive then to wait a week.

BTW, if you posted something as potentially inflammatory as this on the 928 board, they would eat you alive for breakfast, and most likely never let you forget it. I find classic 911 owners to be some of the best mannered and frendliest guys on the internet, politics aside. I also know that 911 and 928 owners are some of the most generous and helpful enthusiasts on the planet, who go great distances to help one another. All in fun, I know. And I'm just sayin, is all.

I worked hard all my life to have a nice car and fulfill a dream. Maybe if everything had come easily to me I wouldn't be as concerned about preserving it. In the current economy, I was compelled to sell my beloved 911 over a year ago. It was the finest sports car I have ever owned,and I regret that decision almost every day, even though it was a responsible action. Maybe for some of us it isn't a car we are washing, but rather a dream that we are shining. My 911 made me feel special. It made all those years of toil seem worthwhile. When you see something like that slip out of your grasp, it really can be disheartening, even if you are putting food on the table for a lot of employee's children.

I'm sorry, what was the question ?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Its relative to the car's purpose. My buddy washes his (new to him) 2002 996tt every other day, drives it 3/10's, but its always clean before it goes into the garage. He babies it a lot and is always worried about something bad happening to it.

See for him as he wasn't raised with the sports purpose cars he's taught its a status symbol and a cult following...he's in it for the second reason as myself and another friend convinced him the way of the dragon, but he's not quite at the enthusiast stage yet.

For myself, with my current build its all about the drive, and prevenative maintanence. My father always taught me to treat everything with utmost respect, but use them to their full purpose. Rinse & repeat. Most the guys that have been in the Porsche game long enough to get to this point usually cherish the older cars for their ability to be more than just a shiney new face, because you don't have the same factor of character. New cars don't leak, new cars are quiet (mostly), new cars don't have little nuances that need constant attention, new cars shift easily.

With the older cars & usually owners, it can be said that there is a more personable relationship between the car and driver, simply due to the issues that come with the cars age etc. We realize these cars aren't investments, but the newer guys that drop $80-150k all at once (instead of over time as we do) have a harder time understanding that...IMHO.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

I am terribly **** with the P cars, but I love driving them , but they are also a form of functional art to me... and you know I am a bit manic.... don't golf, etc, etc, it is Wife, Work and Porsche, that is about it... and sometimes, the order gets jumbled.. LOL
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to keep mine clean and every once and a while I will really detail it. I love driving the car, but I really love driving it when it shines. Truth is, my 30 year old car shines better than many of the new cars on the road.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I like my car to shine, but I much prefer it run like as smooth as possible first.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I am **** about the mechanics of it but then again I will try to get away with a generic hose clamp instead of the $100 porsche part if it does the exact same job.

I do wash it but I make sure that I drive it after I wash it so that I don't have water sitting where it shouldn't be.

Mine is a driver and it always will be. In the first year of ownership I put 20K mi on it...and I really didn't drive it in the winter.

Some guys enjoy doing the concours thing and spending their time cleaning the inside of their valve stem caps. All the power to them and may the be happy doing it. You will find me blasting down a country road with the top off for no other reason that to have the top off and be blasting down a country road.

-matt
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Steely
Instructor

5 o'clock is just ridiculous - I never get up before 5:30.
Joking aside, I try to make her look as nice as my time and pocket-book can afford.
I am not as '****' (shall we say?) as others might be, but I do care about maintenance / upkeep more than the regular maintenance I have done on our regular cars. Someone once said something about treating them like aircraft, so I try to do that as far as the maintenance was concerned, and if I could afford it, I'd do more in the cosmetic dept.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

I check the weather the day before I drive mine. If the chance of rain is not greater than 10% and its not too cold (like 50), I'll drive it. That doesnt make me ****!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

im not **** at all. The car wasnt in perfect shape when i got it. It has paint chips and bubbles. Iv fixed up many things to get it presentable and i keep the mechanicals in good workig order. But ill drive it in the rain if its not too bad my windsheild leaks. Ill park it away from door dinging areas just because i have one and it sticks out like a sore thumb and i dont want any more. Ill drive it in the winter if its not too bad. The first year i had it i let it sit too long and it ran like garbage in the spring. I dont wash it often as i should and when i do i dont get real meticulous with it unless im in the mood and iv got the time. And i dont let anybody but my immediate relatives drive it. Other than that i treat is as i would any other car. I recognize the fact that its a porsche but i also find it ammusing/ sad that people think its such an espensive car and requires all my $. When in reality it probrobly costs less than their honda civic in both intital price and $ to maintain and own. And thats not the case with a new porsche. But ill also say that if i had an 80K$ car i dont think id treat it much differently. These cars are supposed to relieve stress not cause it.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm way more **** with my 73 911S than I am with my 06 Carrera S. I drive them both quite a bit so they get dirty. However, the 997 feels much more disposable to me and I treat it pretty much like any other car. Its even been through the car wash on occasion. The 73 is very collectible and gets treated like rolling art work.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i'm **** about keeping my car clean. i wash it every week, but there are times where i forget a spot, i don't rewash the whole car, i just wait till the next week. however i do relize dirt happens, i move my car from outside to the garage it gets dirty, it happens.

mechanically i'm a nut, i want everything to work properly. i try to find cheaper parts that do the job, even if it's just to hold me over till i can locate a genuine part. but be **** about the mechanics of a car isn't a flaw, it's using your brain...especially with older cars(any older car).

i do cherish my car, and my friends have seen me driving on country roads just to drive the car, i love it, and there's always something to do, from revs or some new sound...or my axel falling off(yup). i'm like this with all my cars that have a sporty nature to em.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Abe,--I have found (over 30+ years of Porsche ownership) that I get less **** as the car gets older.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have time to be **** about the Porsche.

I just keep it clean, drive it, and keep it maintained.

John

Quick Reply: HOW ANAL ARE PORSCHE OWNERS...?