Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC vs 3,2 Carrera - wich to pick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mpg went up a fair amount from the SC to the Carrera, if that is a concern.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Having owned multiple examples of both, here's my take. Pete's analysis is pretty comprehensive, I can only add that the later Carreras have a better oil cooling set up. The loop system in the SC was not very effective. I'm not sure how hot it gets in Norway but in Alabama summer heat, my SC would overheat at a Taco Bell drive through forget traffic or the track. This is easily upgraded with a Mocal radiator replacement and might as well add a fan while you're at it about $300.00 at the end of the day. The 3.0 with CIS IMO feels more responsive than the 3.2 perhaps this is due to weight?? the 3.2 has more hp but the 3.0 hits a little harder. Good 915s are great, but most have been neglected and suck to drive. The G-50 is stronger, and more consistent especially if you on the track it's good to know that every shift will be positive and in the same place everytime without fail. But again good 915s exist so don't discount them. I have an 86' with 59k miles and the 915 shifts like new, it's awesome. Bottomline, the overall condition of the car you buy is the most important thing regardless of year or model. A solid clean SC will be more satisfying to own and drive than a ratty 88. You get the idea.

Good luck!!

Brgds, Peter
Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Euro 3.2 starts at 231hp
Euro 3.0 SC is about 200hp, at least for the later ones.. not sure if pre 1980 Euro SC was still 180hp or not.

** euro to us would mean "regular" to our Norwegian poster, no? **

I also imagine that a Euro car (3.2 or SC) is lighter than typical US delivered cars (ie, smaller bumpers, perhaps no Sunroof.. not sure about p/w, p/l etc etc).

SC and 3.2 brake pads are the same, only the caliper and rotors are wider on the 3.2, which makes an upgrade to 3.2 brakes easy for SC owners.

In your case, I would look for a 3.2 first, but wouldn't rule out a well maintained SC.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I have a 83 SC. Great condition. No issues other than routine maintenance. Just did the original clutch at 94k miles. I love it. Think you should drive both and get the one that makes you most excited.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
cokeloop
Advanced

well, ive been thinking.. i think i'd be just as excited since its my first 911 anyways.. and since cars over here are kinda expencive, ive been looking at SC's in the states.. i could import a 3,2 but it would cost the same as one over here with all taxes and fee's due..

So, i guess a US SC would be ok, especially since veteran cars over 30 years of age cost nearly nothing in toll and fee's; it would save me alot of money

I found this car on ebay today, doesnt say much about it.. anyone know of it or have opinions on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...3A1|240%3A1318

thanks for all the replies so far, alot of great advice
Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I would be wary of an SC for 9k. Have a good PPI done regardless. Mine was listed for 16,500, got it for 13,500... then promptly (within a year) dumped another 7k into it.. (new Rennaire AC, New SSI's with Backdated Dansk Sport exhaust, New clutch/flywheel, Valve adjustment, new ignition switch, new tires, new battery)... its about an 8.5 out of a 10 all the way around... Some will say that every SC is a 20k car... its when you want to spend your 20k. Thats pretty true in my case although you could argue that 1/2 my repairs where extras that werent needed in the true sense. Just get a great PPI. be prepared to spend 12-15k for a well sorted SC. Since your importing it, you would be better off spending on the higher end and having it arrive clean unless you are very mechanically competent. Just my .02.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM
cokeloop
Advanced

yeah, its a little cheap, but looks good.. wonder how long since the engine was gone over etc.. i sendt him an email with some questions though Im guessing it needs some TLC, but as long as there is no rust on it and it runs fine, i dont think it seems too bad..

Its just hard to find 78/79 models that are non-targa in good shape, some nice 81's and so, but that boosts the toll and fees in to norway, from the 78's 3000$, up to around 10000$ for 81's etc..
Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up at that price I'd buy it...

Of course acceptance of an eBay car is always contingent upon inspection. If it is truly rust-free and in "great" running condition you will have a "great" car that might need cosmetics.

Hire a Porsche mechanic or PCA member online to inspect it and ship it for you if it passes ppi.

Congratulations!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

You can fix a lot for the 7k you would save by sticking with a 78. This one looks great in he pictures, but as everyone has said get a PPI from a qualified Porsche tech. There are really good 78s to be had. I might concentrate on PCA or Rennlist classifieds rather than Ebay as a general rule. You can usually trust enthusiasts, they will be willing to get the PPI before agreeing to a price, and will likely provide assistance to get the car shipped. The downside may be a little higher price, but you will ultimately spend the same money for a quality car either before or after you buy it. It is always less expensive to buy one ready to go, than to pay for repairs after it's yours. Good luck, and enjoy the experience of buying the car. There is nothing more satisfying than searching for then finding the Porsche of your dreams, and they all fit that bill.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
livi
Cruisin'

Hey neighbor!

First of all, between the SC and the Carrera, buy on condition not year model.

Secondly, have you considered importing from across the border? Here in Sweden the price range seems perhaps 25% lower than in Norway.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My brother has two 1983 Euro specification 911SC's. They are both tangibly faster than my low option 1984 3.2 Carrera until the Carrera really 'comes on the cam' above about 4000 rpms where the feel is similar on all three cars. One of the SC's is all optioned out with A/C, sunroof and full spoilers, so it's probably heavier than my 1984 with just A/C and an alarm system as it's only options.

I'd stick with the higher compression Euro cars (SC's or 3.2s) since those are your home market cars and ignore the lower value & lower power US Spec cars. I sure like the Euro SC's my brother has. They have nice power delivery characteristics.

I also have a 1990 964 with 34k and a 2002 Boxster with 32k on the clock. The Boxster is BY FAR the best daily driver (and is my DD) and cost less than what I could find a low mileage 964 for.

More food for thought...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
02 986
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

81-83 ROW SCs are very fine cars. Mine was running 225/50/15 tires on 7&8 inch rims. Quick and fast car that did very well on the autoX. I have driven SCs that shift perfectly, and SCs that shift terribly. Do shop around. I realize that all problems are fixable, but it doesn't always happen on the first try.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

hey livi.. Yeah i've been checking out the swedish market too, havent found much on your blocket.se yet tho But yeah, its a good idea, if i found a row-sc it would be preferable.

I was looking into boxsters too, they're pretty much the same price as a good 3,2 over here, maybe a little higher for one in good shape.. but i'm a sucker for the 911, its been my dream car since i was a todler

964 is nice, but out of range due to it's price
Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

That ebay car doesn't look bad at first glance. I would guess it has been painted at some point since it has the Carrera front spoiler. Interior looks good too. The seats look like they were recovered.

I would at the very least get some better pictures from the guy and maybe a video of the engine running if possible.

Maybe there is someone in the area that can look at the car for you. Or find out who the guys mechanic is and call him to find out the history.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:22 AM
holy911
Instructor

Are ROW cars okay for US use? How about for CA smog emissions?

Quick Reply: 911 SC vs 3,2 Carrera - wich to pick?