85 911 - random windshield wiper action

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 911 - random windshield wiper action

I have an 85 911 owned since 89.

not long ago, my windshield wipers would randomly come on. sometimes only swiping once, sometimes a few times, and occasionally swipe many times before stopping.

I had replaced the wiper switch several years ago, don't recall now the issue that caused me to replace it. I have found that by very lightly pulling on the switch lever, it would open the parking contact and I could stop the undesired swiping.

I pulled the switch to check contacts but cannot see a problem with the switch. I just pulled the fuse when dry to avoid unwanted distraction, especially on the track.

wondering if this issue is in the switch or the relay?

anyone have an idea before I throw parts and $$ at it? thanks.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Still sounds like the contacts in the switch. What happens when you pull and use the washer?....as long as you pull up the wipers should wipe, if you barely pull, the washer should not engage but the wipers will still continue to wipe.

Take a closer look, if not the contacts, then you probably have a wire touching intermittently.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

thanks. I am still guessing the switch. may have to replace.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 PM
DonMo
Advanced

There is enough movement over time where the contacts for the switch move in the steering column. A very easy repair. Take the steering wheel off, remove a couple of screws, adjust the column with a washer or spacer and voila, you are good.

I had my wipers stop dead when I turned them off, they are supposed to return to rest position. I could put a little pressure on the stalk and it would return. After adjustment, works good as new.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Originally Posted by DonMo
There is enough movement over time where the contacts for the switch move in the steering column. A very easy repair. Take the steering wheel off, remove a couple of screws, adjust the column with a washer or spacer and voila, you are good.

I had my wipers stop dead when I turned them off, they are supposed to return to rest position. I could put a little pressure on the stalk and it would return. After adjustment, works good as new.
Ahh, this is the issue I have to work on with my '81 Targa. My wipers also stop dead and do not return to rest position. The intemittent wiper action also does not work but if I turn on the wipers and with the intermittent function activated I can hear it click at the rest position so I know the motor still detects the rest position but ignores it. I am going to try and adjust my column. I may need to ask some questions once I get inside but will probably understand it as soon as I see it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

good luck to these other issues.

my wiper works fine when turned on, including parking correctly with turned off. but once in a while will just come on for a few swipes.

since this is my track car, in storage for winter. working on maintenance issues on my 84 928 now.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I am not sure if you guys have coved this but be aware there are 2 switches that could turn on the wipers . The one on the column and the one with the variable pot on the dash ...
My money would be on the column switch though .

Quick Reply: 85 911 - random windshield wiper action