Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Newbie wants to know: 1987-89 or 1999

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

can barely get a top end done for that on our cars :-)
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/911_..._engines_5.htm

Originally Posted by theiceman
can barely get a top end done for that on our cars :-)
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blah blah blah... /motormeister/ ... blah blah blah...
dubious (I'm being polite) opinions & sources - pretty funny.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackspeedster
Hey, where's the smiley? LOL

Brett
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I would have to say that a stock 87-89 Carrera cannot be considered fast by any standard. Having just driven a $35k modded 2001 twin turbo maybe I'm just living in the present too much (good criminy that car should be ILLEGAL!!). It's best NOT to drive a modern Porsche if you want to keep the desire for a vintage Porsche. I can't imagine ever living with 200hp again. I really shouldn't have driven the TT, now I can't get my mind off of it, damn, did I say it was FAST!

Originally Posted by hkiang
Well, not that I have anything against the '90 Carrera 4, (I have a '94 Carrera 4 Widebody) but its really not as fun as the '87-'89 Carrera. The 911 is lighter, more lithe and more exciting. Its fast, viceral, and the way Porsches should be - memorable.

My suggestion is to start with the '87-'89 Carrera. I have 3 Porsches (including a brand new Boxster S RS60 Spyder) and my 1988 Carrera is the one I would sell last, all things being equal. There is just something about driving a classic, old-school 911.

Cheers and happy shopping,

Henry
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I would have to say that a stock 87-89 Carrera cannot be considered fast by any standard."
then one might not have any standards, since 150mph is generally considered fairly fast.
one might also assert that since the '69-'73 911S & RS, 911s have become less exciting cars to drive for sheer pleasure - at any speed.

having driven friends GT3, GT3RS, 997S & TT, as well as chased same over backroads in my '87, I have concluded that talent & risk aversion/mgmt trumps specs. & while that point may be good fodder for arguement, there may be a consensus that production 911s have become more boring as they have become more modern - in spec & owner profile.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ked
there may be a consensus that production 911s have become more boring as they have become more modern - in spec & owner profile.
well said!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by einreb92
Good evening fellow enthusiasts. I am still trying to tap dance my way through the minefield of choices for a p-car to buy. I am in my third month of looking and am slightly overwhelmed at the choices available in my budget ($20k). On the whole, given very little mechanical experience, a limited budget and a strong desire to own one of these before I go to that great-big-garage in the sky (LOL), of two cars equally cared for, which would you choose and why: 1987-89 or 1999 911?
By the way: Go Phillies!!! We ARE the champions!
Bernie
I am guessing that if you buy a 996 you will eventually want an early car anyway.

On the other hand, if you buy an early car that you love you probably won't be all that interested in a 996 down the road.

Remember that the 996 is definitely NOT a classic and will definitely NEVER be a classic. For one thing, the 997 beats the 996 at it's own game.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
rmorgan
Addict
Rennlist Member

This has always been a very interesting topic i.e. the 996 or 3.2 purchase. Then you go to the 915 transmission or G50. The list goes on. First ,my choice for a wonderful machine is definitely the 3.2 Carreras. To me, the car has a "personality" almost a "soul", then becomes a family member. You look for excuses to drive to the store. The 996, although, a completely new direction for the engineers at Porsche, were built mostly through "automated" assembly and lacked a feel,personality or excitment. And as it has been stated before in this forum, MASS produced. The 3.2 were hand made, and in very low numbers in relation to the overall automobile industry. So now that we have the "generation" car I prefer, lets discuss my love for the 915 transmission over the G50. Simplicity. You have to learn how to use the 915,but once you have the hang of it, it is a beautiful setup for the 3.2. I know, there are guys on the other side of the fence for the G50. Yes it is more robust, and slightly easier to use in a daily manner, but thats exactly why I dont like it as much as the 915. My suggestion. Take your time, drive ALL of the cars you are considering. Get the car inspected! Once you have made your choice and found the right car, its time to welcome your new family member!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I've had a few cars that have had soul, including a Datsun Roadster and a Mercedes 230 sl. I guess as a younger car guy, these just lack so much speed that they are dinosaurs. Sure, you will always have people who want to remember the 80s and reminisce but as an enthusiast, these older 911s are just too damn underpowered for modern driving. I think they're okay if you like just like to cruise around in your vintage Porsche and enjoy shifting and listening to the exhaust, but if you like to get on it on a freeway onramp, they just feel like they're crawling against a modern car. Sure they can go 150 mph but who really cares about top end anyway? I think Porsche still builds amazing cars with soul, including the GT3 (all versions). To say that a GT3 lacks soul is as bad as saying a 356 is a VW with a Porsche badge.

Originally Posted by rmorgan
This has always been a very interesting topic i.e. the 996 or 3.2 purchase. Then you go to the 915 transmission or G50. The list goes on. First ,my choice for a wonderful machine is definitely the 3.2 Carreras. To me, the car has a "personality" almost a "soul", then becomes a family member. You look for excuses to drive to the store. The 996, although, a completely new direction for the engineers at Porsche, were built mostly through "automated" assembly and lacked a feel,personality or excitment. And as it has been stated before in this forum, MASS produced. The 3.2 were hand made, and in very low numbers in relation to the overall automobile industry. So now that we have the "generation" car I prefer, lets discuss my love for the 915 transmission over the G50. Simplicity. You have to learn how to use the 915,but once you have the hang of it, it is a beautiful setup for the 3.2. I know, there are guys on the other side of the fence for the G50. Yes it is more robust, and slightly easier to use in a daily manner, but thats exactly why I dont like it as much as the 915. My suggestion. Take your time, drive ALL of the cars you are considering. Get the car inspected! Once you have made your choice and found the right car, its time to welcome your new family member!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I love torsion bars..........! Love my 89.......!

...one would have to have both cars in the stable for all the different reasons. Don't care for the "redlight crap" (just me)...but do like to take her topside, on the twisties...(and not to "just shift gears or listen to the exhaust),..she's driven,..and I feel all of her when I do it.

Also,..I think she's much better-looking,..even at almost 20 years past.

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Al C.
1st Gear

butzip, tell me about your mint 88 blk/blk coup
Old 12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think sports cars are about fun and occasion, and not necessarily about speed. My daily driver can probably spank all my toy cars (Jaguar S-Type R), but that does not mean it is the one incorporated into my daydreams, while I'm at work, when they go to drives down the coast on twisty ribbons of perfect asphalt, with no other cars in sight. And the 3.2 Carrera is the MOST fun car in my stable and IMHO, no other Porsche looks the part of a Porsche better.

And, if speed is really one's top priority, that can always be fixed:

Cheers
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

That's a really clean engine!! Looks like a well-cared for beauty. I had an XJR last year that was SOOO fast. We put the smaller Paramount pulley on the s-charger and it felt like it had 100 more hp in first gear. Most fun to drive? Ferrari F-40, like a slot car and just a scary thrill ride - I'd never get sick of it. My Audi R8 was no doubt the best balanced car I've ever driven but lacked some thrust for a heavy weigh AWD car. I'd get chased out of this forum if I posted pics of my dirty cars.

Originally Posted by hkiang
I think sports cars are about fun and occasion, and not necessarily about speed. My daily driver can probably spank all my toy cars (Jaguar S-Type R), but that does not mean it is the one incorporated into my daydreams, while I'm at work, when they go to drives down the coast on twisty ribbons of perfect asphalt, with no other cars in sight. And the 3.2 Carrera is the MOST fun car in my stable and IMHO, no other Porsche looks the part of a Porsche better.

And, if speed is really one's top priority, that can always be fixed:

Cheers
Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Hkaing: Your car looks very nice! Did you have the pipe that joins the heater blower to heat exchangers made, looks like the work of Ben (M&K), fantastic stuff! I really miss heat!

996 vs 3.2, you really can't compare, they're such different cars, I personally have no interest in 996s and I've driven a GT3 and a TT, they just don't do it for me but both are excellent cars and will no doubt put a smile on your face, as someone else said it wont be your first and last so just find a good example of either and go for it.

Quick Reply: A Newbie wants to know: 1987-89 or 1999