Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Newbie wants to know: 1987-89 or 1999

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
einreb92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you for trying to set me straight. While I am drawn to the more modern car with all its amenities, it seems like the majority of you think I should head towards the 911. I think the thing that would make me feel good about that decision would be if I could find one with the turbo look, since many guys tell me to steer clear of the real thing because of extra repair costs. A set of alloy wheels already on it wouldn't hurt either
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another issue is budget. I think at the $20-22K range you mentioned at first, the 996 you find will be a multiple owner and perhaps have no papertrail history. I imagine it to be in the 75K mile range and therefore could be coming up on a bunch of expenses like shocks, clutch, worn out suspension, tires etc. I find those cars less enticing because you can't deternmine how the car may have been used/abused.

It is more likely that the "911" at that range will have a more complete history. This can better prepare you for the type of money you will need to spend moving forward.

In either case, be sure to budget at least 10% (perhaps ideally 15% of purchase price) for "incidentals" after purchase. Not sure how much you can or will do by yourself, but shop rates are likely $100/hour regardless of the car you choose. That money adds us quickly.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an 89 911 Cabriolet with 45k miles on it 2 years ago. It now has 51k on it. I would have more miles on it but it is 1 of 3 classics I drive. No mechanical problems other than the a/c needs recharging before each summer. I love the ride and I look for excuses to drive it whenever I can. The 928 has taken second place although it is a great ride as well but not as fun as the 911.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer
In either case, be sure to budget at least 10% (perhaps ideally 15% of purchase price) for "incidentals" after purchase. Not sure how much you can or will do by yourself, but shop rates are likely $100/hour regardless of the car you choose. That money adds us quickly.
Remember, "Every 20-yr-old Porsche is $25000 car."

I paid $16,700 for mine 1 year ago. I've put about $5000 in it. That includes me doing a lot of the work myself. But there were some things I had to pay $65 - 90/hr to have someone else do.

Having said that: I'm about to invest thousands more in this 21-yr old 121K mile car so I can have even more fun with it on the track At least by not spending all my money on the initial purchase (as I might have done with a newer Porsche) I have money left over to play with.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

911 3.2!!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I own both. It's pretty simple. You want a a daily driver go for the 996. You want a weekend car go for a 911.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Steely
Instructor

einreb92 - Hello, Go Phils and, WTF birds?
I was never interested in the '99's - for me it was always about getting one of the air cooled older 911's, because I they were what I wanted when I was younger and couldn't afford it. So the newer ones were just never on my radar. That said, I just bought a used (of course) '87 targa this past summer, and I am loving it as a toy. I was concerned about the money too, and I wound up with a couple of unexpected expenses (brakes) even after a ppi, but it still came in under $20K. I plan to keep and maintain it as best I can before I go to the "big garage in the sky". I do have some mech skills, so I plan to some some work myself, except when it comes to needing 2 guys or doing machine shop work.

Best of luck and happy hunting - continue to do your research like this (for example) and you'll be cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with an earlier poster on the body style on the old ones vs. the new. Even the old barrow body 911'a looked sexy. The newer ones seem to be very non descript. The attract my attention based on heritage and pedigree, not raw beauty. The only ones i really like of the new models are the turbo bodied cars.

As for driving and fun factor, I agree that it depends what you are doing. My car feels like a tank to drive. There is no way I could have a drink (non alcaholic obviously) in the car while driving. It takes all my might to muscle the car. I also have a third generation Mazda RX-7 and that thing is so unbelievably easy to drive and is much faster than my Porsche, but my Porsche is way more fun to drive. My advice, get out there and test drive both aqnd pick the one that suits your driving style and need.

Best of luck and enjoy the search.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '77 for the countryside and track drives... my M3 for the city. My brother has a 996 and I don't enjoy it in traffic or on rough city streets.

I hope this is a helpful opinion...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Really depends upon what you intend to use the car for. If it is DD, especially in traffic or somewhere south where good AC is vital then I'd say go 996 for the creature comforts. If it is the occasional work commute / fair weather blast then I'd go 3.2 Carrera hands-down. I've had my 3.2 for just over 10 years - repairs have been reasonable - the saying these cars are bullet-proof is not much of an exaggeration - but the one thing that keeps me from "trading up" to a newer model is the raw connected feel of the 3.2. There really is nothing else like it.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, My '89 3.2 Targa is for sale. Last year of that style.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/931686182.html

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive owned 4 996s including a turbo as well as a 987s and a cayenne S. I now own only 1 1988 carrera and an audi allroad 4.2. There are a bunch of things to consider but I will list a few of the important ones. First, We already know how the G50s age. They look so great (almost current) from a design perspective. The build quality is rock solid and it tells you every time you open and close the door. The steering is right on and makes you feel like you are famous. Additionally, if you are an attention seeker then it looks like you have had money for many years. If you are more subdued, then it says "I dont need to have the new ones and I appreciate the old school charm." I love the older cars for so many reasons. It is like a good old watch that keeps on ticking and is a pleaseure to look at every time you check your wrist.
The 996s are awsome cars. spectacular performance, razor sharp handling and they do carry the character of the marque. They are cheap right now as many things are, but be careful. There is a difference between cheap and value. Many people thought Lehman Bros was a steal at $15/ share. Dont get me wrong, I love the modern water cooled cars. I do think however that the G50 is a better value and if you dont like it after having it, then atleast you will know that you will likely get your money out of it in a sale.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:40 PM
einreb92
Instructor

I want to first of all wish a happy holiday to all of you and thank you for your input.
I have driven three cars to date; one 88 Targa, one 88 coupe, one 95 cab. The Targa was clean but had spotty records and was being sold by a Nissan Dealer for $25k (which I thought was too much for 85k on the clock.) The coupe was nice, has good records but the exterior had lots of pits and the interior was tired. The 95 was way out of my price (In case you are on here, I apologize to the owner b/c I had no intention/ ability to buy it). I did like the amenities of the 95 and while it might not have made a purist happy, still put a big smile on my face. I didn't mind the "rugged" ride of both of the 88s, and in fact the P-car will not supplant my '08 Honda or my '98 Acura as my DD. My p mechanic scared me a bit by telling me how much more maintenance is for the post 89 cars (as much a double the price), but I hear what some of you say about the newer cars being in a state of less natural decline.

I have ruled out the '99s as I am scared to death because there are so many of them available (some for a song). That can't be good! I do like the early 90s even though I understand they were new creatures and suffer from some birthing pains from the mfg.

There is one car that a nice guy on this (and Pelican) wants me to see up in NJ that he says is in concours condition. It also is an '88 coupe but the PPI from a prior sale says it needs a few things that probably fall under the heading of normal wear and tear...front shocks, a couple of small oil leaks, a gasket, axle boot and a few other small things. My future mechanic saw the list and quted ~$3k to do all of it. Of course I would use the information to negotiate if I decide to go that way. So going to see it next week will not really help me decide since the overall condition might be a fair deal for $23.5 with ~85k but I already know how the 911s ride.

The economy is another factor that I have been considering in my search. I feel badly that there are some folks out there who need to sell their cars b/c of circumstances, but all in all, it may provide me with a better deal than any I have seen so far by giving me more bang for the buck. So I am learning a new lesson: this baby boomer is trying patience! I wish I could say that money is not a deciding factor (either in the purchase price or subsequent maintenance) but it is for me unless someone can convince our society to better compensate teachers for their time, the bottom line is important. If this means I can only afford an older car, then I guess I'll make my peace with that because after all, it is a P-car!

That being said, the following is probably where I am today (although the more I read, the more conflicted I seem to become (lol). I already have a classic ('67 Skylark convertible) that I have had as the second owner since 1980, but I wouldn't mind another ragtop, but I don't think I like the Targa as much as a coupe. I really want a black exterior but have now moved away from needing black interior. In fact, I like some of the other color combinations better now. If I could have a newer car that might give me more "trouble-free miles'" I am inclined to go that way. But there is so much conflicting info about the early-mid 90s cars until I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face.

Ok. I'll get off the soapbox now, but thought I would respond to all the helpful comments and give you an update.

Thanks;

Still looking.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:46 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

It sounds like you are making good progress, narrowing down on what you like, and at the same time, developing some "wiggle room" in areas such as interior colors etc.

As for the '99's, well, there are a lot of good ones in reality, but more and more over the past decade, people have been spending more on their car purchases (leases primarly) and Porsche sold a lot of them, so there is an oversupply. As I have an '85, you can guess where my biases may lie, however, I am a real fan of the new cars too.

However, due to the large numbers, it will be a while (long while) before 996 prices bottom out and stabalize. One advantage of a good air-cooled model, is that with decent care, it will hold its value. That is comforting because it means that let's say in 5 years, you have some cash stashed away and if you also have a nice 3.2, selling that and combining it with your cash savings may get you a nice 993 etc. What I am trying to say is that these cars are an addiction, and once you've owned one, you may develop a hankering to change to a different one.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 AM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

if a toy is what you're after, look no further than a G50 Carrera.

Quick Reply: A Newbie wants to know: 1987-89 or 1999