Need sunvisors

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need sunvisors

Does anyone know where I might purchase good used sunvisors--both left and right--for our '79 911SC Targa? The car itself is in excellent condition, so I'd like to find sunvisors that are commensurate with the condition of the car. I checked today for new ones from Porsche and was floored by the price they're now asking. I guess they really don't want to sell new ones. It appears that any will fit OK as long as they are from a Targa or Cabrio. In fact, the old part number starting with 911 has been superceeded to one starting with 964.
Oh yeah, they need to be black, too. Any help will be very much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

are your present ones "puffer fish " ? sun visors ?
i have heard you can have them redone, but they don't put the mirror back in
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found some on E-bay - from Oklahoma Foreign they were in pristine condition, came with the hardware and everything. Not exactly cheap, but much cheaper than buying new from Porsche. It does appear that the Targa/Cabs had a slightly different shape/hardware combination from the coupes. It may be worth giving them a call.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RShepHorse
I just found some on E-bay - from Oklahoma Foreign they were in pristine condition, came with the hardware and everything. Not exactly cheap, but much cheaper than buying new from Porsche. It does appear that the Targa/Cabs had a slightly different shape/hardware combination from the coupes. It may be worth giving them a call.
I almost bought those myself. Buy It Now for $160. That's actually a good deal. Another pair recently went for over $200.

The targa/cabs have a crease in the top side, and a more pronounced upward curve. I need a driver's side for my 1979 Targa, because when I bought the car it had a puffy coupe visor on that side.

These guys make repros. Just have coupe sets now, but I've seen targa's too. Not sure about the quality: http://stores.ebay.com/Appbiz

Mark
Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The sunvisors from my 87 are available (removed due to rollcage). They are black and pretty good condition. If the 87 ones will fit, I can send pics.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
The sunvisors from my 87 are available (removed due to rollcage). They are black and pretty good condition. If the 87 ones will fit, I can send pics.
Since Joe started this thread, I'll give him dibs, especially since he needs the pair and I only need one side.

I haven't driven my car in a long while, and probably won't be soon, so not in a rush to spend the money either.

Thanks though.

Mark
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

try LAPD. They are a great source for odds and ends.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

just bought a pair fro my '83 SC from Pelican parts. I think they were $163 each. Perfect fit.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I heard the sunvisors from a 964 Targa/cabrio also fit.

They are thinner and have a curve to match the contour of the upper windshield frame

John
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am buying a new pair myself for my '84 Cab, mostly to freshen up mine. The plastic pockets are gone on mine but otherwise are ok. Was going to eBay for $100 for the pair. After mine are replaced, I'll take some good pics if anyone's interested before I list them.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

I just had mine redone by JPM Upholstery shop in Marrietta, GA. Joe the owner did an excellent job recovering my old ones. My orginal sunvisors were black & white and looked like a pillow. Joe, repacked and recover my sunvisors in all black vinyl and they match up well with my new headliner. He charged me $50 per sunvisor.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your help, folks, and for the quick replies. I just checked eBay, but there doesn't seem to be much out there right now. Several sellers listed Porsche sunvisors, but they did not indicate whether they were for a coupe or targa/cabrio. I will consider all your suggestions and I'm certainly open to others yet to come. As of the moment I just sent sjanes a PM regarding the ones he offered above. These may be the answer to my needs. I'll know when he responds with pictures and price.
Thanks again. I'll post what I finally wind up doing. Meanwhile, I'm open to additional suggestions and offers.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

$74 for both visors, can't beat it!

http://www.autosunvisors.com/
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again, fellow Rennlisters, for all your help with this sunvisor issue. I have completed a deal with sjanes to purchase the ones he removed from his '87 targa noted above. The pictures he sent me look great, the price is right, and I am purchasing original Porsche stuff. Once again Rennlist and the great Porsche people who are part of it have come to my rescue. I'm very grateful.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Well I need a set for my 1981 Targa in black along with the tabs that hold it on. My car did not come with any so I cannot recover them. I was thinking about seeing if a previous owner had them but that would be lucky. $480 is too much for a new set from a 964.

Quick Reply: Need sunvisors