Colour code for Gold Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Einar Irgens
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Colour code for Gold Metallic

Hi,

I am planning to buy a 1969-1973 911 targa within a year or two, but I am not sure which colour it should have. That is, it shall be gold metallic, but I am not sure whether the nuance that I want has ever been delivered on a Porsche.

Gold Metallic is a colour that is hard to portrait on a picture. On the few photos I have found of gold metallic 911's they look anything from brown to yellow.

Gold 8888 was a 911 colour in 1970 and 1971 as Sonderfarbe (ref http://elferhelfer.de/farben.htm). I have bought a spray can with this colour to see how it looks in real life, and I was disappointed. It looks brownish - more like copper than gold - and somewhat pale.

For 1972 the code changed to 133, but still looked the same. Late 1972 it changed again, this time to 140. I do not know whether it still was the same colour. I have seen photos of 1973 models that look like "real" gold, that is, yellower and brighter than 8888. It could however be that I was fooled by the photos.

Is there anyone who can tell me whether this last year of the original 911's had the choice of the colour that I think is perfect for the 911 targa?
I am aware that I probably will have to repaint the car that I buy to get this colour (not very common colour, I think) and sacrify some originality, and I would feel more comfortable about it if I could use a colour code that was actually possible to order when the car was new.

Einar Irgens

Last edited by Einar Irgens; 10-28-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Colour code for Gold Metallic