Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The 911 Just Got Better

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 911 Just Got Better

Yeah, so I see this Boxster “S” engine for sale really cheap, broken but complete. Thinking the Boxster is cool and fairly cheap right now, I wonder if a spare engine might be a good idea. The spare engine and tranny I got for the SC was a major piece of mind deal. So I go hang out with the Boxster guys and ask them about it. Here is one reply

-------you cant get some new engine parts from the Porsche dealer—there was also a confirmation to that.-----------

I understand that all new parts for my 25 year old 911SC may not be at the dealer, but a 2001 Boxster??

I guess the 911 is the real deal for me.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point. I've heard the same thing about Porsche protecting their service market by keeping their latest parts inventory privy to their dealerships.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, back when the water-pumpers showed up Porsche decided to do rebuilds at the factory, and have not supplied the parts required to repair 986/996 engines. The thought that circulated about the time that I sold Red Line to Marc (late '99) that Porsche feared that the engines were so lousy that they didn't want dealers/independents taking them apart, then spreading the word about them.

The warranty exchange program at the dealer worked very well, many P-car owners know nothing about hydraulic lock and cylinder slippage problems that the cars were plagued with.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Actually, back when the water-pumpers showed up Porsche decided to do rebuilds at the factory, and have not supplied the parts required to repair 986/996 engines. The thought that circulated about the time that I sold Red Line to Marc (late '99) that Porsche feared that the engines were so lousy that they didn't want dealers/independents taking them apart, then spreading the word about them.

The warranty exchange program at the dealer worked very well, many P-car owners know nothing about hydraulic lock and cylinder slippage problems that the cars were plagued with.

There are FAR more problems with those engines now and factory replacement (exchange) is the most cost effective way to deal with those.

Thats one big reason why the 2009 version has been totally redesigned,...

Quick Reply: The 911 Just Got Better