Adopting a 1982 911 SC Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:16 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Adopting a 1982 911 SC Targa

Hello everyone,

I wish you all a happy new year! with hopes that this year reveals itself to be better than our last. I have heard alot of good things about Rennlist from friends in the BIMMER corner, and only discovered recently that Rennlist also covers Porsche, which is NOW important to me, since I am to adopt a friend's Targa in a month or so. I am happy and proud to be a first time member of Rennlist as of today.

I do not have pictures to share as of yet, as the car is still yet to arrive, then I will take the pleasure of cleaning it. (it's been in storage for about 6 yrs. and have been registered as a non-op every year leading)

Before I launch into my questions in hopes of helpful responses, allow me to share some specs of the car.

1982 911 SC Targa with a 3.0 blown engine, marking 157,000 miles and change. It's silver and black with a straight body, no rust that I could see from my preliminary lookover. The car has always been garaged.

My question(s) revolve around my recent inquiries about the possibility of putting a different engine in the car to replace it's 3.0 liter engine. This wondering was borne from the fact that the 3.0 liter engine in the car now needs a FULL engine rebuild, since it blew because of lack of oil while driving, according to the first owner. Although this may open alot of possibilities for me, I decided to add a rule, and that is I don't wish to engage in any type of "fitting modifications", which narrowed down the choices.

One recommendation is to upgrade to a 3.6 liter engine that will "bolt-in" without hassle using the current configuration of the compartment. The price for the 3.6 liter engine is $7,000 and $500 for the fly wheel. The 3.6 liter engine has 45k original miles.

1. Should I get the same 3.0 liter engine?
2. Is there much performance gain in upgrading to a 3.2 liter engine?
3. Are there any other engine upgrades that I should look into?
4. Should I consider the FULL engine rebuild?
5. Are there any sources that you or someone you know here in Northern California or California in general that I maybe able to visit and talk with, gather information from in order to make an informed decision?

I welcome any information, comments, and suggestions that you may find time to share with me.

thank you for your time in reading my letter. I look forward in reading your response.

Sincerely,
Old 01-05-2003, 05:56 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats, and good questions,

Ideally, it's really dependent on your budget. (As always!)

3.6 seems to be the best way to go, but typically these run from $12k to $15k start to finish. Best, but most expensive.

On the other extreme, it's common to see a good used 3.0 which obviously bolts in for $3k on up. Good way to get back on the road w/o killing your visa.
(cheapest)

Did you get a pro to pronounce your 3.0 dead? Maybe it's not as bad as you think. Get it checked throughly before you toss cash at it.

Something else, since you're in CA you'll also have to wrestle with the smog people, so upgrading radically will be a whole new set of issues - unless the car is track only. That given, it may be best to stick to what you have.

Check this place out and pelican parts bbs and start hanging around. You'll learn quickly.

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8</a>

enjoy

rjp
Old 01-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Ell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this car a SC converted to a Targa or a Targa converted to a SC?

Ell
Old 01-22-2003, 08:35 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Hi Randy,

Thank you for your reply, I have been away on business and actually got a chance to think about your valuable input, asked my mechanic to check out the car and it looks like we may be able to just rebuild the motor. This is going to be great as I will be rebuilding it with him, so I'll get to know what goes in and how everything works.

Thank you again for your response, I'll keep ya posted..

j
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by RANDY P:
<strong>Congrats, and good questions,

Ideally, it's really dependent on your budget. (As always!)

3.6 seems to be the best way to go, but typically these run from $12k to $15k start to finish. Best, but most expensive.

On the other extreme, it's common to see a good used 3.0 which obviously bolts in for $3k on up. Good way to get back on the road w/o killing your visa.
(cheapest)

Did you get a pro to pronounce your 3.0 dead? Maybe it's not as bad as you think. Get it checked throughly before you toss cash at it.

Something else, since you're in CA you'll also have to wrestle with the smog people, so upgrading radically will be a whole new set of issues - unless the car is track only. That given, it may be best to stick to what you have.

Check this place out and pelican parts bbs and start hanging around. You'll learn quickly.

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8</a>

enjoy

rjp</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-22-2003, 08:41 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Hi Ell,
Sorry I didn't reply right away, as I was away on business. The car is a 1982 911 SC Targa. I was thinking about putting a different engine in it, like a 3.6 liter engine, which was recommended by Randy above as the best upgrade but not the cheapest. During my trip, I had a chance to think and considered Randy's response... my mechanic and I looked at the car a few days ago and we discovered that we may be able to rebuild the motor, which actually is a pretty good thing. I will be rebuilding the motor with my mechanic, as his aprentice so I'll know the ins and outs of it.. well at least an idea of how everything works anyway.

The best thing about it is I will have some small change left over for improving the cosmetics after the car is running. I will also have the opportunity to save up for a 3.6 later on if I really, really, really want it..

thanks for your post, I'll probably be getting the car by the end of the month or so and will keep you posted...

thanks again, and nice to meet you.

j
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Ell:
<strong>Is this car a SC converted to a Targa or a Targa converted to a SC?

Ell</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ell,
The '78 thru 83 911SC was offered as Coupe & Targa. What is the 'conversion' you are asking about?
Ken
82 911 SC Sunroof Coupe
Old 01-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Ell,
The '78 thru 83 911SC was offered as Coupe & Targa. What is the 'conversion' you are asking about?
Ken
82 911 SC Sunroof Coupe
Old 01-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Sorry about the double post. I must be tying with my thumbs again. :&gt
Old 01-22-2003, 10:39 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Hi Ken,

Jay Here... I think Ell might have thought that I was going to do an engine conversion from the stock 3.0 that the car came with. At any rate, I'd rather wait until I can afford to get a real 3.6 liter engine transplant and just rebuild the 3.0 for right now to get the car up and running.

thanks for your post Ken.

j

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Ken Fredrickson:
<strong>Ell,
Ken
82 911 SC Sunroof Coupe</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Hi Jay,
If your motor can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost,(less than $5,000) and you plan on using it as a daily driver you should be very happy with the 3 liter performance. I have had mine for 18 years, drive it all the time. I did a top-end rebuild 4 years ago at 233,000. It now has 286,000. I auto cross occasionally, but mostly grocery getter, and Southern Calif freways.
When I feel the need for speed, it gives me all that I can handle.

Ken

82911SC
OCR/PCA
Old 01-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Ell
Racer

I thought that there was the 911 SC and a 911 Targa. When I saw the 911SC Targa I thought that it was a conversion. There was a guy that converted his Targa to a SC by cutting the top off and switching it.

The 911 was a gift to my wife and I got the 928. I spend more time working and following my car, but I still like taking hers for a ride every now and then. I think that the older 911s turn more heads when you see them on the road.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:07 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Ken,

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for sharing your experience, and continued use of the car. I'm in Northern California myself, and am really looking forward to bringing this baby back to life. My mechanic has told me that since the engine blow out was caused by lack of oil in the engine, we should expect the worst... meaning, a full engine rebuild maybe, if not.. I'll certainly be the happier.

I agree with you on the 3.0 liter power though, now that you shared with me your current driving experience. I would love to see your pictures if you've got them? as I understand from your handle, you've got a coupe?

thanks again Ken,

j

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Ken Fredrickson:
<strong>Hi Jay,
If your motor can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost,(less than $5,000) and you plan on using it as a daily driver you should be very happy with the 3 liter performance. I have had mine for 18 years, drive it all the time. I did a top-end rebuild 4 years ago at 233,000. It now has 286,000. I auto cross occasionally, but mostly grocery getter, and Southern Calif freways.
When I feel the need for speed, it gives me all that I can handle.

Ken

82911SC
OCR/PCA</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-22-2003, 11:14 PM
targaboy
AutoX

Hi Ell,

Now I understand the confusion, while I thought you meant the engine, you were actually thinking body styles... hmmm an SC targa conversion, does it look good? would love to see the pics if you have them.

I agree with you on the 911 body style though, it's a classic beauty in itself. My friend who is selling me this car has a new 2003 911 carrera, and I love the fact that the body style kept it's original shape, less the lights and the moldings, you know what bugs me though?.... the front lights are so similar with the boxer lights, it's hard to tell the difference head on sometimes, I know it bugs my friend too.

thanks for your post Ell,

j

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Ell:
<strong>I thought that there was the 911 SC and a 911 Targa. When I saw the 911SC Targa I thought that it was a conversion. There was a guy that converted his Targa to a SC by cutting the top off and switching it.

The 911 was a gift to my wife and I got the 928. I spend more time working and following my car, but I still like taking hers for a ride every now and then. I think that the older 911s turn more heads when you see them on the road.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Ell
Racer

Jay,
After the conversion the car looked just like a 911SC. I think he did the conversion to have the hard top for track events. I only read about the conversion.

Ell

Quick Reply: Adopting a 1982 911 SC Targa