Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1966 911 Value

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
roebedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 911 Value

Looking for some advise on where I can get an accurate value of an early 911, 1966. A lot of online sources dont really have enough examples. Do I just need to get it appraised?

Just looking for some helpful feedback

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Mark S in NM
Track Day

go here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...isplay.php?f=8
Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I can look it up for you in CPI, cars of particular interest, when I get home tonight. I'm not sure given the current economy that these values truly represent today's market. It is however, considered to be the bible of collector car values. They list fair, good, and excellent, but no monetary valuation is made on beyond excellent cars. There are some truly collectable cars that go beyond excellent, as well as limited edition cars that can't be appropriately valued due to low numbers for comparison purposes.

Fair is the category where most drivers fall. Good is what most people consider to be excellent, and excellent is as good or better than the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Beyond excellent is just what the market will bear on the day you sell it and to the guy who really wants it most. Those situations really just can't be averaged.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
roebedo
Instructor

Thanks for the help guys. Yes this car would fall under fair condition.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

CPI ranges are from 10750 to 20425 with condition being the most important consideration. These prices do not reflect the value of a car that is special, and 66s could very well be restored to a level beyond average numbers, or the opposite. 67-72 911Ss appear to be worth a great deal more according to CPI. I'm not particularly familiar with the early cars, but the Ss must be a lot more desirable and/or rare.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by roebedo
Looking for some advise on where I can get an accurate value of an early 911, 1966. A lot of online sources dont really have enough examples. Do I just need to get it appraised?

Just looking for some helpful feedback

Thanks,

Mike
Frankly, these cars are so old the value can be literally anything... condition can vary wildly...

Bottom line, the value is what you are willing to pay and the seller willing to accept..

Some guidelines...

Engine rebuild $10-15K

Repair body rust and paint $10-20K

Re-do interior to factory... $5K+

Transmission rebuild $3-4K

Throw in another $10K for everything else (trim, brakes suspension etc)

Starting to sense a pattern here?

My advice, unless you are an expert (and you would not be posting if you were) do not buy any old 911 that needs more than brake pads, tires. wipers.

If you find a car that passes PPI and is in condition you will be happy with as is, any price between $15-25K is probably reasonable.

Anything in less condition is not worth buying at any price...

Anything in condition more than that could be any price... you are competing with collectors here... price could vary $10-20k on the same car depending on the motivation of the buyer.

Good luck

Quick Reply: 1966 911 Value