Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stiff clutch pedal (G50)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 01:52 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
nfp - I had a hard time getting the 13mm open end to turn given the lack of wiggle room and was scared-off. I can't recall the part, but there was some kind of retaining clasp on a pin associated with the clutch linkage to a bell crank millimeters away from the outside of the wrench. I was concerned that if I went CCW on the nut, without controlled force on the wrench, I'd slip and really mess it up. So, using the allen wrench, I'd rotate away from driver a mm or so, and eye-ball the eccentric to see if I was moving the meatier part of the eccentric away from the spring-end. And I'd test the pedal action while doing this. I hope this makes sense - given the lack of room down there. I also mistakenly thought that loosening the "lock nut" would defeat the purpose of this adjustment, and if I re-tightened it, the eccentric bolt would move.

I can drive her for now, it's not a show stopper, and I am very appreciative of the input so I'll know what I am doing when I have my stuff together during the winter in the garage.

She's back together minus the floor board (sealing and gluing under clamps right now).
Old 10-05-2008 | 02:30 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Hey Dan,

That is strange, I do remember the nut tight but it was due to the locking feature of the nut. I literally opened the nut very little then used the allen wrench for the adjustment, it gave me no resistance, once adjusted I re-tightened the lock nut. I can't see how you could have adjusted it without loosening the lock nut? Oh well if you did then, I must be wrong. But I think you were just pressing the eccentric on the spring, it will feel like it is being adjust but it really isn't.

That part you mentioned is the shaft that goes into the master cylinder, I dought you would have harmed it.

Anyways, try Pete's suggestion, he is a 911 God.

Break a Leg Brother Targa!
Old 10-05-2008 | 08:14 PM
Steely
Instructor

Jim,

I cheated and used a another item to extend the length of the allen wrench for leverage in order to turn it.

And I did feel honored by having Mr. Z (I have his book) and others send some advice my way - I think I hit pay dirt with this thread with all the solid intel and pic I scored.

Thanks man!

Quick Reply: Stiff clutch pedal (G50)