Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

quick limited slip question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default quick limited slip question

I'm pretty sure I have a limited slip dif. I say this both because I have 220 as one of my option codes,..but also because when accelerating hard out of a turn the car squats down and digs in really nicely. But yesterday I jacked up the rear end to remove the wheels so I could replace the worn tires, and when I turn the left rear wheel forward, the right turns backward,..this while the car was in first gear. I then put the tranny in neutral and turned the rear wheels, and both turned the same direction. I always thought the rear wheels spun the same direction with a LSD, but not sure about mine spinning different directions while in first.

Is this what you'd expect from a LSD?

Sorry for the silly question, but I can't help myself.

Rich
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=40%25+LSD

lots of post and threads on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=40%25+LSD
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doug,..I've read those threads but they don't address my specific question.

I'm simply asking for confirmation that when you lift the back of the car and turn the wheels,....do they turn in the same direction when the car is in neutral,..AND when it's in gear?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

Really with LSD it should be hard to turn one wheel at all when the car is in gear. If it WAS in gear, and you could overcome the clutches they would spin in opposite directions, unless you were turning the engine too, in which case they would both spin the same way. One easy way to determine would be to lay under the car while its in neutral, and try to spin the wheels in opposite directions while holding both tires at the same time. If this is accomplished with little to no resistance, then you either do not have LSD or it is very worn out. All the above information is only for clutch type LSD only. I'm not sure if the 3.2 ever came with a torsen type or not. From your description, it does not sound like you have a properly functioning clutch type LSD in your car.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ryan.

That's kinda what I thought,..but definately needed some confirmation. I definately have a LSD, but as you point out,..clutches may be pretty worn.

Rich
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm

I don't think you can spin one side fast enough by hand to get it to lock up and until that happens it will act like an open diff.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.
- from how stuff works article quoted

Mussberger - thats just not true. The article is correct though. My 911 and 951 both have clutch type LSD, and they do not behave like open diffs when on jack stands.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM
PorscheII
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Ryan said, Rich's test confirms that while he has an LSD (wheels turn the same way when "in neutral"), the discs are VERY worn out (wheels easily turn the opposite way when "in gear").
Old 10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The kendall additive makes a huge difference. I believe Steve W. said you can also use the Ford LSDA.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With both rear wheels off the floor and the car in neutral, turn the right rear wheel; if the left rear wheel follows along in the same direction you have LSD. I'm not aware of a way to establish wear accurately without disassembly and inspection on the bench. If you have differential "chatter" while cornering, it's strongly recommended to add an LSD additive specifically designed for the LSD friction plates (my favorite additive is made by Kendall).
Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

There I go think'n again
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
PorscheII
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drop one of the axles and measure breakaway torque at the bare flange (with the opposite tire on the ground and trans in neutral), you will almost be duplicating the way breakaway torque is read on the bench.

Quick Reply: quick limited slip question