Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warped deck lid due to shock on one side???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warped deck lid due to shock on one side???

My local body shop is doing some work on my '78 911 and one of the issues is the way the trunk lid fits. When I close the lid but don't push it down to the locked position, the left edge nearest the bumper (on the side where the shock is) is about 2 or 3 inches in the air when the right side is touching the body of the car. The body shop seems to think it is because there is only a shock on one side. I can't imagine this is the case as I don't believe there are thousands of 911's running around with warped deck lids. If you have a deck lid with a single shock, can you tell me if you have had any issues like mine?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen several vehicles, including Porsche, that had either hoods or rear lids that were either warped or appeared to be warped, from having only one hood strut, or only one functional strut. There is a lot of pressure on them from the lid struts. I would install new lid struts on both sides. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lid should not warp from having only one hood strut. Usually the reason for two of them are to support the lid which may have a turbo tail or whale tail on it, which provides a lot of weight. I suspect someone has pushed a little too hard and bent it.

There are rubber bumpers that screw into the lid on each side near the lip. They are adjustable to make the lid stay steady. Check to see if you have them on it. Also make sure the latch assembly is adjusted properly.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Justin mY SC has a Carrera tail and as you may hav seen I have only a strut on one side. Closes perfectly square.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has about a half centimeter to 1 centimeter of warpage. Nowhere near the 2-3 inches on your lid. It must be due to having a shock on only one side.

Brett
Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Then again my one strut IS a bauer Left hand shot with a lie of 6
Old 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spider911
The lid should not warp from having only one hood strut. Usually the reason for two of them are to support the lid which may have a turbo tail or whale tail on it, which provides a lot of weight. I suspect someone has pushed a little too hard and bent it.

There are rubber bumpers that screw into the lid on each side near the lip. They are adjustable to make the lid stay steady. Check to see if you have them on it. Also make sure the latch assembly is adjusted properly.
I do have a Carerra lid with a turbo whale tail on it, but my warpage is considerable. I have adjusted the rubber and it helps the lid close better, but the right edge still hits way before the left edge and it is actually scratching the paint in two place because of the way it closes. I'm thinking a new lid is in order. I just can't imagine that much of a warp, but maybe I am out to lunch.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I can check it the next time we are at a get together justin and you can compare it against my car. I can't imagine it warped that much either, especially with a turbo tail fastened to it. You would tend to think it would force it square. Has it always been like this ?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
I can check it the next time we are at a get together justin and you can compare it against my car. I can't imagine it warped that much either, especially with a turbo tail fastened to it. You would tend to think it would force it square. Has it always been like this ?
It has been since I owned the car. There is also a crack in the steel inderneath and i am not sure if that is a stress fracture or a damaged lid. Also, my tail was not fastened all the way around properly so that might have had something to do with it.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After just installing a 3.2 Carrera tail on my original engine lid, I can safely say that incorrect installation of the tail to lid, or incorrect installation of the assembly on to the car can definitely cause alignment problems. The best way to do the install is to mount the tail onto the lid - using all hardware and a correct gasket - after tightening all of the brackets that are attached to the tail. Do not final tighten the tail to lid bolts at this point! Install the lid/tail assembly to the cars rear hinges, without having the upper latch (pin) installed. Lower the lid carefully until it is seated, again with no latch, and check the height at each forward corner (nearest the rear window). Use washers to adjust the height until it's correct in each corner, but do not final tighten the hinge to lid bolts. Lower the lid to its closed position and wiggle the lid until it's centered, raise the lid and tighten the hinge bolts. Lower the lid and check the way it closes, raise the lid, tighten the lid to tail bolts, and lower the lid again. If all is well install the upper latch, adjust the pin and close the lid.

I have seen many, many 911s with all kinds of support shock set-ups, including doubles on the left side only. The shock has no impact on the lid, it is mounted to the hinge, which is an extremely strong part.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 09-28-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:49 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lid closes crookid. Iv got a whale tail and it isnt secured well all the way around some of the fiberglass tabs are broken off. It has dual shocks on the left only. The right side hits probrobly an inch or more before the left side. If i were you id look for a kit to add a shock to the right side to even it out.

Quick Reply: Warped deck lid due to shock on one side???