"Aero" Wipers and the 911...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts
Default "Aero" Wipers and the 911...

This is a cross-post from the 964 forum. I believe we have the same windshield wiper system, so this is a PSA for my fellow 911 owners...

The so-called "Aero" wipers have become more and more popular in recent years. They come stock on my Audi and I love them. Bosch sells them and I also bought them for my 951 a few years ago. Very happy with the product! They cost more than regular wipers, but work better and last longer.

So I've been trying to get a set for my 964, but Bosch doesn't make a 13" version. After looking for a long time I finally found a set on Ebay, from a no-name manufacturer. The seller was in the UK, so I paid the equivalent of $35 for the wipers. They arrived within a few days (I'm on the East Coast of the US) and I installed them immediately, right before a track day at Watkins Glen.

Well, I was underwhelmed with the results to say the least. These wipers don't arch the way the Aeros do, and don't do as good of a job as the Bosch "regular" wipers I had in the past. Also at speeds above 100mph (tested at Watkins Glen), they start to flap wildly, almost as if trying to fly away. Not good. So after my second run at the Glen I swapped them with my old wipers. Let this thread be a warning to others who may want to try this "mod"...

And here's a picture to show the offenders:
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up - I have been tryimg to find some better wipers ever since a recent tour of scotland where it rained throughout the trip - (well thats what happens in the UK esp Scotland) my Bosche blades that were only a few months old have left black marks on my screen that are a real **** to remove. Have you found any blades that are better?
Cheers
Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Bosch Icons are the best choice for our cars IMO. I don't love them, but I haven't found anything better...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Thanks - thats what I use at the moment, as you say not great - but haven't found anything better yet... maybe theres a gap in the market for quality blades for older cars.
cheers
Old 09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I just rain-x the hell out of my windows. Seems to help a lot.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It might help if you didn't mount them BACKWARDS......

The thick side of the airfloil needs to be "downwind".

And I was able to quite easily modify a longer set to fit my '78 Targa.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

It is. Look closer.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Something just does not look right about those shown in the photo???? I know that my BMW 750iL has the factory "winged" wiper arms on it, and it really does help keep the wiper blades planted on to the glass at fast highway speeds. The blade on the curved side, looks like it is too rigid, and is only contacting the glass in just a small patch when at rest, and I would imaging that thing would be flapping about when it is not being used. My wiper arms and blades, conform to the shape of the windshield on that curved side, and I don't have any problems with mine. I believe that I am using some ANNCO blades in the factory arms. Hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I think the term 'downwind' is perhaps confusing when referring to a windshield wiper.
I suspect that what he means to clarify is that the thickest part of the 'aero wedge' needs to be at the top, not along the lower edge as it appears to be in the photo.
I recently added these (although Bosch) on my SUV, my Mercedes & my F150.

Placing the thick 'edge of the wedge' along the cowl side would tend to make the wipers disturb the airflow going across the hood and over the glass, whereas, placing the thin 'edge of the wedge' along hte cowl side would tend to allow for smoother airflow across the hood-to-glass transition, thus creating additional downforce agains the leading face of the wiper wedge, resulting in greater wiping ability.

Anyway, mine are mounted the other way and there have been no ill effects @ high speed.
+++
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
SpartanToJo
Instructor

Yeah, first thing that I noticed in the pic too. You have them mounted incorrectly.

Probably will not help with the 'arch' issue, but will definately help with the flapping.

Quick Reply: "Aero" Wipers and the 911...