Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

BUYERS BEWARE-WINDWARD PERF.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 03:48 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down BUYERS BEWARE-WINDWARD PERF.

Unfortunately, I have had a bad experience with Windward Performance, and I would advise against getting involved with them. I have bought many parts for several cars from several vendors, and this is the first time I have ever had a problem.
Here is the story: I ordered an H&R suspension set for my 97 twin turbo. They sent me parts of the H&R suspension, and supposed, "upgraded custom (non-H&R) monoballs at no extra charge". I asked them to ship me the correct suspension, but they said "this was the last H&R suspension for this car in the country". The "upgraded monoballs" were obviously used, as the aluminum was scratched. I asked if I could return the parts, since they were not what I ordered. Dan at Winward said no problem, and that my money would be refunded in full(since these were not completely the parts I ordered, and I was not consulted about this swap before shipment). After months of chasing them for a credit to my AMEX, with no returned calls and no faxes, I finally got a credit for 75% of the total $2,800 because they imposed a 25% restocking fee. I called the previously courteous Dan, only to be treated very rudely, and to have him hang up on me. Fortunately I have e-mails from them acknowledging the mistake, so I will be taking this up with AMEX. Should have bought from Gert.......
Old 08-16-2001, 05:15 PM
addictionms
Instructor

Refunds are a bitch aren't they. I am having a similar but different problem with The Racers Group, Rennlist's new "Sponsor". I had a rollcage put in by TRG and because of their delays in schedule, I was rushed for time and purchased a bunch of stuff from them and I was assured I was getting the best price and I would not find these items for less anywhere else. After I got home and did a little work on the web I found the same stuff for about 25% less, so I called TRG and they offered to refund the difference. To this day, the refund offered has never been seen. My cage was done in April, so you can see I have given up on TRG to keep their word and refund me the money.

Good luck with your pursuit

Jim
Old 08-16-2001, 05:53 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Thumbs down

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The Racer's Group is off my list of potential suppliers. BTW, I found out that I am not the only one who has been burnt by Windward. Check the following URLs:
Windward ExperienceWindward Experience on the Rennlist
Old 08-16-2001, 11:36 PM
druck
Former Vendor

Igot a price of $90 for a set of Magnecor KVM85 wires for my 84 911, when I called back to order them the price was $135 plus $10 for local shipping. I didn't by them.
I heard that Windward used to be a country store for tourists visiting Vermont.
Buyer beware.
C.S.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:21 AM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

Konrad,

Keep your emails and go to AmEx. They WILL work with you on this. I have had problems like this with other suppliers (not Pcar parts) and AmEx really helped. If you are a Gold, Plat or Cent member it helps a lot more!

Joe
Old 08-17-2001, 09:26 AM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

Forgot something important.

For anyone who is an AmEx card holder, contact them and ask for their "buyers assurance" program.

ANYTHING you purchase with AmEx has the guarantee extended for double the normal time, for free! I had a hard drive die on my IBM thinkpad and the factory was worthless. Called AmEx and they paid to replace the HD 14 months after I bought the laptop, no questions asked.

This applies to almost anything you buy, Pcar parts included! Purchase any part and AmEx will double the factory warrenty... does not work on used, overhauled or reman stuff.

No, I do not work with AmEx, just know part of their system fairly well!

Joe
Old 08-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

I have bought a fair ammount of stuff from Windward. You do have to make sure you spell everything out with them, including any "conditions" to the purchase. My take on them is that they frequently have the best (or very good) prices on commodity stuff. For example, Hawk pads, Sparco stuff etc. I only buy commodity items from them, not anything requiring them to "do something" on.

Also, my impression is that they stock very little, and most everything is drop shipped from the actual manufacturer or a warehouse.

They are a good source, IMO, as long as understand the situation.

Quick Reply: BUYERS BEWARE-WINDWARD PERF.