Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headlight wire harness Question - 89 911 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight wire harness Question - 89 911 Cab

I have an 89 911 cab and am replacing my right (pass) fender due to an unfortunately fender bender (not my fault - waiting to leave a mall when an idiot decided to back up right into my right fender). Anyway, the bodyshop had to remove the plastic plug for the headlight (to get the fender off) and there is one green wire that got stripped in the process. So I can't figure out how it was terminated. Does anyone have a clue whether it is a spade flat connectors with clips, etc. The various connectors are on PET 6 - Illustration 902-52. Any help would be greatly appreicated as I am concerned about how the body shop intends to fix it and prefer to get the part and re-crimp the connection myself. Andrew in Los Angeles
Old 09-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

How about pulling the headlight harness out of the left side and looking to see if that green wire was part o the quick connect or separately terminated? That's the first thing I would do.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a great point. I will try that. Andrew
Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, you beat me to the answer. I always look at what's on the other side (if there is one) so I can duplicate it.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aj - believe it or not, I wanted to clean my dirty H5 lenses when I remembered seeing your post (Rain from Hanna has me inside).
On the left headlight, I have 3 wires going to the lamp plug, and checking my Bentley manual, it shows the green/ylw as the Lo-beam hot. Blu is the Hi-beam, Brown is the return (or ground). Not sure what type of lamps you're running with (sealed, H4 or H5), so while the colors may be the same, the connectors might be different.

Also, I noted in the Bentley that the wire colors are different for the Right side.
If I get a chance, I'll take a pick so you can map to the PET.

If the green wire touched the chas., you may have blown fuse 3 in Box 2. (on edit - if you had the switch on)

Last edited by Steely; 09-06-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Steely
Instructor

Here's a pic - I hope it comes out. It's wired to a connector in my case that looks like POS 1 on PET 902-58. Hope this applies and can help.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Steely
Instructor

some more info....
My PET shows applicable MY as '89. To what does the 6 in "...PET 6..." refer in your post?

The headlamp well in the fender has 2 small harness penetrations:
1 is the 3-wire set that we're talking about, and they go directly to the lamp connector;
the other loops to/from to the honkin connector set you see in the left of my pic - I don't a have a clue what they're for (parking/turn sigs maybe?).

If you still have the lamp connector, the pin or connector you want may be in there and will have to be extracted somehow.

Quick Reply: Headlight wire harness Question - 89 911 Cab