Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Body noise - usual suspects

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 02:01 AM
docsuresh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Body noise - usual suspects

Love my baby but does she creak and groan! '77 Targa top. Approx 92k original miles. Runs great. No rattles. Doors fit tight.

Any suggestions on where to start fixing the creaks and groans? Any mods that will help? What are the usual culprits? Targa top? Seats? Shocks? I have seen 30 year old Porsches running with almost no body noise, so clearly this baby is above average on the noise scale.

Appreciate your answers/suggestions.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

Get a coupe
Old 07-12-2003, 09:44 PM
docsuresh
AutoX

Thanks Eddie Will remember it for the next one (likely a 91sh 911 Coupe)

So over the last 2 days I lubricated every possible part in the Targa assembly and about 50% of the creaking vanished.

Then this afternoon I took the Targa top off (not something I have done in a long time) and drove some 50 miles through different kinds of roads (highways, mountain roads etc.) I want to say that over 90% of the creaks and groans are gone.

For you old-timers this might be another one of those "duh" solutions - but it's made a world of difference to the drive experience...not to mention hearing the air-cooled symphony even better.

Suresh
Old 07-13-2003, 02:25 AM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey suresh,

I wiped the inside of the targa pin receptacles on the targa bar with Qtips dipped in white lithium grease. The squeak from it was unbearable but it's gone now. Someone once advised me not to do that but I couldn't stand it anymore. Applying graphite on the pins, as I was advised, didn't help one bit. My car had a squeak that sounded like noisy mattress springs coming through the dashboard. Most of it turned out to be the hood latch assembly. White lithium grease fixed that too. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Body noise - usual suspects