Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Diagnosis Help - Massive white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree you most likely over filled your oil.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by scottb
White smoke? New Pope?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scarceller
I agree you most likely over filled your oil.
Thats what it sound like.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
rt61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the prompt replies. I'll start the car up after work today. I'm hoping that it is just an overfill problem.

If the chain tensioner did fail - what would be the sounds I should listen for? Would the sounds occur when idling in neutral? Right now - there are no issues other than smoke at neutral.

Would there be any different sounds a 1st gear when moving from a stop?

As to the question of the plug condition upon removal. I'll have to check each plug, but I do recall that all plugs were oil fouled. I think one or two may have been worse that the others. I marked each plug with the cylinder number.

Rick
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
scarceller
Racer

Originally Posted by rt61
Thank you for all of the prompt replies. I'll start the car up after work today. I'm hoping that it is just an overfill problem.

If the chain tensioner did fail - what would be the sounds I should listen for? Would the sounds occur when idling in neutral? Right now - there are no issues other than smoke at neutral.

Would there be any different sounds a 1st gear when moving from a stop?

As to the question of the plug condition upon removal. I'll have to check each plug, but I do recall that all plugs were oil fouled. I think one or two may have been worse that the others. I marked each plug with the cylinder number.

Rick
If all plugs where oil fouled then this most likely indicates oil entring via the intake.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Chaine tensioner failure would be a loud rattle (marbles in a coffee can) near the rear of the car, most noticible at idle.

John
Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 AM
rt61
Track Day

Default Smoke is gone & it runs again

I guess I dodged a bullet and my engine lives on. The problem must have been an oil overfill.

I used the opportunity to change out the oil & filter.

Thank you again for all of the tips and advice.

Rick
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Excellent
Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Originally Posted by rt61
I guess I dodged a bullet and my engine lives on. The problem must have been an oil overfill.

I used the opportunity to change out the oil & filter.

Thank you again for all of the tips and advice.

Rick
Don't feel bad. Everyone does this once. I checked my oil at 180-F and thought it was a quart low (engine running, on flat surface, yadda yadda) based on the dipstick.

Turns out, I was the dipstick. The thermostat had not opened fully, and I added about 1/4 of a quart too much. So: a little smoke, a little mess, a good lesson learned.

Now, you'll probably want to get in there and clean out the oil breather tube from the tank to the intake as best you can and clean out the air box, and make sure all is connected tight when you're done.

Hint: try using Isopropyl Alcohol with the engine very cold (ie over-night cold) to clean up the oil. I.A. is a good petrochemical solvent, and can be rinsed away with tap water and a little simple green. Be sure everything is cold when using Iso. Alcohol (fire risk) and be sure everything is very dry before re-assembly.

Good luck, and maybe next time do what I do: wait until the temp is 1/2 or so on the gauge before check the oil level.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, this not as bad as draining the fluid from my front wheel drive corolla many years ago while changing the oil. Since I knew how many quarts of oil it took...I didn't even bother to check oil level.
I had lots of smoke with a not so good transmission. Luckily, no harm done.
abe
Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Generally, if you didn't screw up with overfilling the reservoir with oil it could be a broken ring. What were you doing just before this started? White smoke tells me rings,--are you looking like a mosquito abatement truck about now?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

We have an SC in the shop that wouldn't start. The car had set for about 2 years. The owner says he checked the oil and it was low so he put in a few quarts. Needless to say, oil was in the heat exchangers and all over the place. We drained all the oil and got a little over 19 quarts out of it (tank & crankcase). Once we check the electricals, we'll try to start it. At least it now has close to the correct amount in it. We'll top off when it's started and up to operating temps.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
scarceller
Racer

Originally Posted by Spider911
We have an SC in the shop that wouldn't start. The car had set for about 2 years. The owner says he checked the oil and it was low so he put in a few quarts. Needless to say, oil was in the heat exchangers and all over the place. We drained all the oil and got a little over 19 quarts out of it (tank & crankcase). Once we check the electricals, we'll try to start it. At least it now has close to the correct amount in it. We'll top off when it's started and up to operating temps.
I'd remove the spark plugs in this car and crank it a few times before trying to start it. You want to be sure the cylinders are not filled with oil before you crank this car over.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

We're going through that process now. Customer not in a hurry.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider911

19 QUARTS ?????? holy crap
Sounds like he forgot the put all the oil in , and put it all in again...

too freakin funny

Quick Reply: Diagnosis Help - Massive white smoke