Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Evap blower cover removal - hard or EZ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap blower cover removal - hard or EZ?

Ok, so I took off a day early and the rain has forced me to bug ya with questions.

Does the AC line have to be evacuated to permit removal of the evaporator/blower cover?

Bentley's has it as step one, but I was wondering why I couldn't just lift the sucker off assuming there was enuff clearance. They didn't use insulating tape, but some sort of putty, and the PET parts list shows a nice little notch in the over.

Goal is to get to the fan - it's bad - I tested it by running some (fused) leads from the Batt. to the connector. Last clue was a burning smell followed by loss of mediocrely cool air. I was hoping for a bad resistor pack - no dice.

I did some research, but haven't found any specific mention of this step on the boards.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Steely
Instructor

cover me, I'm goin' in.
guess I should take some pics.
should have been clearer in that I am trying to remove the blower cover w/o having to disconnect the refrigerant lines.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On the 83SC I don't see any other way but to take the entire unit out so that you can get inside.
First you have to deal with nut/bolts and 4 clips that keep the two halves together. I am not sure how the 87 set up is.
abe
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Steely
Instructor

From what I've read, the fan is in the top part.

At the pace I move (slow), getting out so I can check out the fan would be a good start. But I have a feeling it'll be a bugger to re-assemble while in the smugglers compartment. If I have to evacuate the line, I'd rather do it after I get the motor taken care of if I can.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 PM
DonMo
Advanced

I went into mine without evacuating the system. Don't drop the clips. Tie a string or something around them. If they fall below, you have a 50/50 chance of getting them.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Steely
Instructor

Thanks - I began to start this afternoon and wondered about that - there's a little hole in each one top/center. I could imagine them flying.

I stopped for another reason, but you answered that since you were successful. I was wondering if I removed the two top supports and the clips, if the bottom wasn't supported it could pull down on the lines - but if you had no issue, I guess its supported.

I appreciate the tip! (and nice looking car!!)

Quick Reply: Evap blower cover removal - hard or EZ?