Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1967 911S Targa (Soft Rear Window)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Greg Lund
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 911S Targa (Soft Rear Window)

This is the first time I've posted on Rennlist, so if I am not in the correct forum here, grateful if someone would point me in the right direction. I am an Australian living in northern Japan, and I own a 1991 C2 Coupe (RHD) and tomorrow I take delivery of a 1967 911S Targa that I have been restoring since about late April.

I have come across a last minute issue that I am hoping someone might be able to help me with. I arranged insurance today, but discovered that they want to charge me more than double the premium on the 964. On asking, I found that the issue is (possibly) a simple one that someone out there can answer for me.

On the Registration Certificate, along with Chassis Number, Engine No., Length, Height, Weight, etc., there is a category called "Kata" in Japanese, which I would translate as "Type". Under this category, they have simply written "fumei" which means "Unknown". And this is the root of the cost problem. If unknown, they simply automatically allocate the highest rating.

On th corresponding Certificate for the 964, under Kata, is written E-964A.

I am sure that for 911S 1967 (don't know if being a Targa makes the number different would it end with a T??) there would have to be something corresponding to this number. Like E-911T, or something like that.

My question is - does anyone have any thoughts on how this information might be obtained, and following on from that, how I might get something formal from e.g. Stuttgart, to take back to the registration authorities to amend the basic registration. It seems pretty odd to have "Unknown" on a registration certificate in any case. Cheers Greg
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

For type I would think the closest would be simply 911. Perhaps Zuffenhausen can share some lessons learned here.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Greg Lund
3rd Gear

Thanks Dan. I 'm not sure that will be quite enough, actually, but I agree, and will probably go and argue the case that it should be. I note that, for example, 993 Coupes are these days listed as E-993 and 993 Cabriolets are E-993K, which makes sense. When the E designation first appeared is the issue, but in any case, it is a 911 and that does not appear anywhere else on the registration certificate. 911 SHOULD be perfectly adequate.
The car was a private import from California about 12 years ago, by a backwoods Japanese fencing contractor who barely knows what his own name is, and as soon as he ran into a problem - with a clutch - and found he didn't have a clue how to source parts or information, he put the whole thing into storage and forgot about it. After spending a large amount of money on an engine and gearbox rebuild (fortunately for me). The mechanic who has done most of the restoration work for me now was trained with the Porsche distributor in this part of the world back in the '70s, and he was the one who did the original rebuild after it arrived in Japan. It just seems ridiculous to me that the Registration Certificate says "unknown", purely because that was what the importer said all those years ago in total ignorance, and thus it should stay that way. I know what it is, and intend to correct it, but oriental bureaucracy is pretty hard to get on top of.
Thanks for you interest and assistance. Cheers Greg
Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Mark S in NM
Track Day

I would try this, 0-911ST or 0-911S-T. My thinking is first number 0 is the program # given by Porsche to 67 911 cars. Others are self explanatory.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:41 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the Red Book

Have you consulted the Red Book? Sounds like something that might be in there. I don't own one or I'd look it up for you.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Greg Lund
3rd Gear

Thanks to all who replied. I have been away in Australia since I posted last, but will be looking to take on the registration authorities here in Japan in the next week or two.

Just one question arises - what is the "Red Book"? I now have an extensive Porsche library, but this one I am not familiar with.

Cheers Greg
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg: In 1968 Porsche began using a model designation for their cars that went:
1968 = "A-Series"
1969 = "B-Series"
1970 = "C-Series", etc.

This might be where the confusion lies, because in 1967 "Model Designation" was merely "911" or "911S", with "Type Designations" listed as "911 Coupe and Targa", "911S Coupe and Targa", and "912 Coupe and Targa." The 911S engine type is officially known as "901/02", you might insist on that listing. Hopefully this info can somehow help with your negotiations!

Quick Reply: 1967 911S Targa (Soft Rear Window)