Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 911 Carrera Conv. Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 911 Carrera Conv. Top

The driver side front locking motor on the convertible top stopped working today. Pulled it off and plugged it into the right side connector and the motor worked fine - so I don't believe its the motor. Since the right side works OK too, I don't think its a fuse - unless a separate fuse feeds the left hand motor.

The Porsche book indicated that the wiring leads to the Convertible Top Control Unit. Anyone know where this is located and what it looks like.

Any other thoughts to get things working again would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Don
Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

had the same problem. The control unit is under the passenger foot board, black plastic box. Found a connection plug that needed tape to maintain contact. Now it works fine. Originally thought it was the box which is special order and costs approx $600.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Thank you - I'll look into the connections. Now the motors on both sides do not work - so I was thinking it was a connection or wiring problem. The motors work fine when hooked to a 12V power source so I know they are mechanically and electrically OK - and no fuses are blown. Report back after the weekend.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
donnieknoxville
Advanced

Default Convertible

We'll when the second motor stopped working, I thought it had to be something in the wiring. I did find the Convertible top computer - pretty cool inside - with the electro magnets. While in the process of showing my daughter how the wiring ran from the computer to the top motors, I traced it under the seat then around the rear footwell and then as I was point out how it got to the B pillar, I saw where the problem was. There is a connection just behind where the speak is. One side of the connector is formed so that it fits in bracket welded to the side of the frame - to make sure it doesn't get in the way of the actuating arms on the convertible top. Well - it had come loose from the bracket and it got wedged between one of those arms and the frame. While it didn't break the connector, it wedged the tow halves apart. All I had to do was reconnect at that point and everything worked great. Also made sure the bracket was firmly holding the connector out of the way.

Thanks for the help

Don

Quick Reply: 1987 911 Carrera Conv. Top