Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My first DE - Mid Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first DE - Mid Ohio

What a great track. Lots of Porsches at this PCA-sponsored DE.

Here's one of the line ups as we waited to go out.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Mostly Porsches, but there were BMWs, Suburus, VWs, and Mazdas too.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

There were more changes in elevation than I expected. It's a pretty hilly track with blind curves.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I got to go solo !! WOO HOO!
Attached Images   
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

A tremendous learning experience. I gained a far greater appreciation for just how good these cars handle. And most importantly... you can read about off-throttle oversteer a thousand times, but until you experience it and the truth to the fact that giving it MORE gas will keep you going the right direction... I'm just not sure you can get it until you do it.
(oh yeah, look at the body roll -- time for better sway bars and bushings!)
Attached Images   
Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Well done, glad you had a great time.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOVE those photos! The car looks like it's positively flying in that last shot - I mean off the ground! Something about the shadows...

Anyway! I'm going to be doing my first DE in the next couple of months, and I'd love to hear more from you about your experience. Had you ever done any type of track driving or autox before this? Details about your weekend, if you please!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun! I'd love to do a track with changes in elevation.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VroomGrrl
LOVE those photos! The car looks like it's positively flying in that last shot - I mean off the ground! Something about the shadows...
Well, I saw a few cars get onto 3 wheels.

Anyway! I'm going to be doing my first DE in the next couple of months, and I'd love to hear more from you about your experience. Had you ever done any type of track driving or autox before this? Details about your weekend, if you please!
This was my first time on a track ever. But I drive in hills and curves and have pushed the limits, just not legally!! Since I'm used to that kind of driving, I was in my element.

More than anything - I had to experience off-throttle oversteer and how to NOT do it! Nothing like going into a corner at what you think is Warp 9 light speed, getting scared, seeing that you aren't on the correct line, feeling the car starting to slide, and then.... the instructor says "give it more throttle" while all the time your instinct says "let off the gas you idiot you're going too fast!"

And then when you don't give it more throttle, the car goes into a worse slide and the rear end brakes loose and you feel that wiggle and now you're way WAY off your line and wondering about that wall that seems to be approaching fast.

So the next time around, when the instructor (or the inner voice of truth in your head) says, "yes you are going stupid fast but you have to give it more gas" then you DO give it more gas and the little 911 straightens right up, finds its line, and saches around that corner like nothing.

AAAHHHHHH..... what a feeling. To get on the throttle when you are already screaming fast and have the car do BETTER than when you went slower.

That's the moment you know: You are in a car born and bred of true racing machines.

That's when you're hooked and you start planning your next DE while you're relaxing at a cool 120mph down the back straight.

That's Mid Ohio.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Looks like a lot of fun! I'd love to do a track with changes in elevation.
I think it would be worth the trip. There's really only one flat straight and that's along the pits. Otherwise, there is constant elevation change - some minor, some significant. The other nice thing is that it's in a park-like setting and spectators are free to roam the infield. You can observe along any stretch of track you wish. And much of it is under shade trees.

Here's a mosiac of one section called the "esses" (as in more than one "S"). This section is followed by another downhill set of curves.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

I totally understand about "pushing limits" in "daily" driving, and let me just say that I am eager to get my 911 out on the track! Doggone other people and their dumptrucks, not to mention red lights on some of the best straightaways...anyway!

For a while I was dreading that moment, which I assumed would come, when I lost control of the rear end as you have described. It seems to be THE big issue with controlling these rear engine/RWD cars. And the #1 thing folks have warned me about. I figured it would happen to me eventually, as it's bound to, when learning to push the limits.

But then thinking back, I realized I have actually lived thru the whole "losing the rear end" thing and lived to tell the tale - tho it was not on a track! I used to drive a 72 Super Beetle back in the day, and I lost control of that thing a couple of times. First time, I slowed when the back end started to swing, and it all went to ashes, ending with a spin and a wheel lost to a tall stone curb at the end.

Second time, I'd read somewhere about adding speed instead of slowing in that situation, and I was able to bring myself out of a pretty vicious fishtail down the interstate at already high speed by giving her some throttle. Totally counterintuitive, and a real buzz when it works.

Of course, I've had about 30 years of "granny driving" between then and now, so I don't count on those old lessons to inform my instincts once I'm out on the track. It's a whole new ball game. Can't wait!

As for tracks with elevation changes, both Barber and Road Atlanta are pretty good in that way. Lots of the elevation changes are in turns, resulting in some blind crests that get pretty exciting. If you get a chance to come down this way and drive either of these tracks, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Now - talk to me about launching! I'm a little overly obsessed with the fear of stalling out or spinning like a goober trying to get a good launch at the track. NEVER MIND that I have never once stalled out on launch! But in daily driving, I aim for a smooth, clean launch. I'm guessing at the track there is an element of SPEED added.

Any other impressions or thoughts you think would benefit a first-timer, please share!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Now - talk to me about launching! I'm a little overly obsessed with the fear of stalling out or spinning like a goober trying to get a good launch at the track. NEVER MIND that I have never once stalled out on launch! But in daily driving, I aim for a smooth, clean launch. I'm guessing at the track there is an element of SPEED added.

Any other impressions or thoughts you think would benefit a first-timer, please share!
It sounds like you have a good knowledge of the basics of RWD and oversteer. My own fears of it were exaggerated. It doesn't get nearly as tail-happy as I had been led to believe. You'll be pleasantly suprised with how good your Porsche handles once you put it to the test.

Launching? You're talking to a first-timer, so forgive my ignorance if it shows. But I don't think this is of ANY concern at a DE. It is not a race and there are no fast starts. If anything, you may start slow to put some distance between you and the car in front.

It's a very tame start.

Also, they will probably run the first lap as a yellow. So it's a "slow" pace and there is no passing and no need to start fast. If they run your DE like ours, stalling is not a consideration.

Also, you may do far less shifting than you think. My car stayed in 3rd gear the entire track except for the back straight when it got into 4th for about 1/4 mile then back into 3rd for the S curves and it stayed there until I hit the back straight again.

My time around the track was 2:04. So in 2 minutes, I shifted up once and down once. That was a big suprise. I expected to be shifting a gazillion times. (note: I have a 5sp. The 6sp cars were shifting a bit more)

What more are you worried about?! I can put all your fears to rest.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I read this guide from our local club website.

I found it to be really helpful and accurate.
http://www.morpca.org/page20/page24/...E%20Guide.html
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

LOL, look at you Shannon.....look at the animal that has been created. Good stuff!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911vet
Also, you may do far less shifting than you think. My car stayed in 3rd gear the entire track except for the back straight when it got into 4th for about 1/4 mile then back into 3rd for the S curves and it stayed there until I hit the back straight again.

What more are you worried about?! I can put all your fears to rest.
I had to laugh at myself after I posted this. I have sent enough cars out to the track in events I've worked that I know launch is really not a big issue in HPDE. DOH! It's not a competition, and in most cases, you start...and then you go until your session is over. Launch should be the least of my worries!

Shifting is another big mystery to me. I have some videos of ride-alongs I did at Barber with some awesome Porsche Sport Driving School instructors and I'm wishing I had shut up and paid more attention to what was going on with throttle, shifting and braking. I can hear some rev matching when I go back and watch the videos now. I do remember trying to think about paying attention to their shifting - and then being totally mesmerized by the experience of the ride - never looked into the footwell once!

There's so much talk about heel-toe-ing and all that, but a) my pedals need to be adjusted a bit for me to be able to do that without lifting my entire right hip out of the seat to get any part of my foot on the gas (ask me how I know!) and b) doesnt' sound like you got anywhere near this as an issue during your first outing. I find some comfort in that!

As I'm sure is obvious, I tend to way overthink things. While this has its benefits in car-shopping, I'm not sure how useful an exercise it is in preparing to drive. What I should probably do is find an event I can make before October, so I don't drive myself (and yall) crazy with my niggling questions between now and then.

So, when is your second outing??

Quick Reply: My first DE - Mid Ohio