Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera `88 oil spill from top of engine??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 12:25 PM
Peter Skovsted
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrera `88 oil spill from top of engine??

Hi!

Can anyone advise what would be the mostliekly problem when my 88īcarrera spills oil from somewhere near the top of the engine, actually it seems to come out somewhere around the throttle body housing -at least itīs wet underside of this component where some cables touch as they pass under, so it could be coming from some of these cables too (but I don't think so)itīs wet with oil on top of the crankcase where the fan cooler thermostat and one of the oil pressure sensors is located(under the throttle housing)Any tips on what this could be will be worshipped, as I have spent many hours trying to figure it out.

TIA.

Peter Skovsted
`88 Carrera coupe - Denmark, Europe
Old 12-02-2001, 12:32 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Either you are filling the oil tank up too far (ideal is midway between the high and low marks on the dip stick) which allows oil to be sucked into the airbox and then leaks out onto the engine or you have a leak at the oil thermostat which is cheap to fix, but a bitch to get at with the engine in.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:35 PM
eworkley
Instructor

Could also be from the oil pressure switch.

eworkley
Old 12-02-2001, 08:17 PM
Peter Skovsted
AutoX

Smile

Thanks Kurt and Eworkley,

So I suppose we're just talking leaking gaskets in the case of the sensors swithces..

Re. oil level I'm a bit confused, sometimes like in the manual for the car it says that you should refill oil it the level is on half level?? but I have also previously heard about the excess oil being thrown up... but then, why would it leak out of what I assume should be an air (and thus oil) tight system??

Thanks again,
Peter

Quick Reply: Carrera `88 oil spill from top of engine??