Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1983 SC Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:19 AM
roverelf
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1983 SC Clutch Question

I just purchased my first 911, a 1983 with just over 20,000 miles on it. I am doing as much research as humanly possible on this question, and am trying to get a consensus (which seems difficult). My question is, what clutch was in the 1983 SC? I have been told by a reliable source that the 1983 model actually got the spring centered clutch, but have also been told that all 1978-1983 models had the exploding rubber center type. Is there any way to "prove" what is in the car short of tearing it apart to look? I purchased it from the original owner, who was meticulous. I certainly don't want the clutch to grenade, but at the same time, I don't want to tear down the tranny only to find that the car truly has a spring centered clutch. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
John
Old 07-11-2003, 12:28 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
according to the Porsche Red Book 81 and up has the spring center clutch...

No worries.

rjp
Old 07-11-2003, 02:02 AM
VELOCE
AutoX

HELLO
I did a CLUTCH SERVICE on a customer's 82 911SC last year. It had a RUBBER CENTER CLUTCH. The clutch RUBBER CENTER EXPLODED and the car was "BORDERLINE" driveable. I also did CARRERA CHAIN TENSIONERS at the same time. As I recall PORSCHE changed the CAMSHAFT CHAIN SPROCKET FASTENER from the "BIG NUT" to a BOLT in 80-81!?
Well this engine still had the BIG NUT. The car had 30K + ORIGINAL MILES ! ? Perhaps your 83 MAY still have a RUBBER CENTER CLUTCH. If the CLUTCH is working FINE perhaps JUST ENJOY and when it fails / slips then REPLACE. FYI my customer drove from CHICAGO to my SHOP in NORTHBROOK [ 25 MILES ] with the EXPLODED CLUTCH,EXPRESSWAY DRIVING and NO DAMAGE to the GEARBOX or FLYWHEEL. I had the flywheel resurfaced but aside from that no other problems with the drivetrain because of the failed clutch.
Hope my comments are of some help to you.

REGARDS
ALAN
Old 07-11-2003, 01:15 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roverelf,

Why not ask the original owner? If he was as meticulous as you described, he should have documentation as to what he has had done to the car in the 22 years he owned it. And with so few miles on it, it may very well be the original rubber clutch.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:47 AM
roverelf
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback all. It seems that there are a number of different answers to the question. John, the car has the orginal clutch, the question is "What clutch is it?" There seems to be many answers as to what clutch the factory installed for the 82-83 model years. I think I'll take Alan's advice, and just keep on driving. Someday, when I need a clutch, I guess I'll know for sure! Thanks much for all of your feedback; much appreciated!

Regards,
John
Old 07-12-2003, 01:05 PM
rich 36

just had my 82' SC clutch replaced and that still had the original factory fitted part,
(a bit near the rivets though) it had spring centres

Quick Reply: 1983 SC Clutch Question