Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'78 SC Should Even Be Considered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '78 SC Should Even Be Considered?

Hello Everyone,

Came across another less expensive SC, but it is for a reason... And yes they are $20k cars... LOL

Original add:

76th SC built. Bought by current owner in 2001 and used as daily driver for the last 7 years. Well maintained and sorted out. Body is solid, but there are some rust bubbles at fender/bumper line. Interior is good; there is wear but no tear. Odometer reading 272k km.

Complete, original car with many upgrades:
Turbo tie rod ends;
OEM short shift kit;
Pop off valve;
Carrera tensioners;
Sport steering wheel and shift ****;
16” FUCHs;
Added Carrera foot well blowers:
Replaced front suspension pan;
Good 134a A/C system;
Fabspeed cat bypass.

Engine has good oil pressure, doesn’t use oil, and starts and runs well. Gearbox in excellent condition. Regular brake, suspension, etc. maintenance done as car was used as daily driver.

Not show, but lots of go!

$9k

I spoke to the owner on the phone for an hour. The thing that kills me the most is that he is a retired engineer, but when I asked how often he had the valves adjusted his reply was "once"(in seven years, LOL). That goes with out say how well the rest of the car was cared for. Should I even bother looking at it? Its a hour away. I wonder how the valves going to sound when cold...

Then is was resprayed, seven years ago, for $7k, parts removed. But now there is rust popping up in places. The deck lid is misaligned because of that I hope, and not other reasons... The price is low because it pretty much needs a respray again... And that would be around $10k...

The replaced the dash, said that tan once are NLA. Is that true? Had the tops of door panels and other parts tainted black to match the dash. Replaced rear shocks, pair of rotors.

Had the bottom end apart, due to cam gear working the woodruff key loose, or something. Meanwhile, replaced the main bearings. "Pistons & Cylinders looked good that was 70,000km ago. The air box didn't show cracks , so wasn't replaced.

Another big issue there is not much for documentation, As to when It came into Canada, or how many owners it had. The thing I always tend to run into is these km speedos. This one is not Euro car. So who knows when the speedo was replaced or how may miles are on it... Not thats a very good gauge of the engine condition, but still nice to know.

I love how the air box is cut, I take it it was to ensure easier installation of Carrera blowers. Is that only to top piece cut, so it can be replaced or is that both??? I haven't owned a P car yet... There is a cable missing also, I don't know what it is, there is a hole for it...

Shifter **** is not original, not a big deal. But the steering wheel seems original, owner thought that it was a sport option.

The rust is kind of alarming. The fender bumper, bubbles are starting to burst, some of the same other side. There a bit behind the drivers door. I dont know what is that on below the bumper on passengers side at the rear, dust or rust?

The color is not my favorite either. If it was black I probably already own it, LOL. I have your book Peter... What is the name of this color anyway? I could live with it...

I'd rather it didn't have the AC added or of the foot blowers. Dont appear to be very meticulous jobs...

Here are some large pictures so you guys can pick it apart!!!

http://www.mediahump.com/image/129435/

Thank you very much for all input!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KoenigsTiger
The rust is kind of alarming. The fender bumper, bubbles are starting to burst, some of the same other side. There a bit behind the drivers door. I dont know what is that on below the bumper on passengers side at the rear, dust or rust?

The color is not my favorite either. If it was black I probably already own it, LOL. I have your book Peter... What is the name of this color anyway? I could live with it...
It looks like Gemini Blue Met., or a variation of...

Rust bubbles are very scary! If you can't isolate them to only one poorly repaired panel, then the general feeling is to pass on the car. If you want to pursue the car get a thorough PPI done - with the mileage and rust if you get it cheap enough you can consider it a parts car that you can drive for a while!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Wink

Yeah, thats the kind of a vibe I was getting also... The rust does appear to spread. Nice paint job... How long should those last, this one is seven years old... Maybe I'll go look at it, just for fun.

Thank you very much for the quick response Peter!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Keep in mind the bubbles you see are only the worst areas. My guess is a removal of paint will show a lot more issues. That car has seen some bad conditions if a '78 is showing that much corrosion.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice paint job... How long should those last, this one is seven years old...
In SoCal, 20+ years and no rust! Like Ed wrote, that car's seen some bad days and dismal conditions...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:44 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Rust is a deal breaker for me. I'd much rather see original paint with fading or even clear coat worn through. The motor has had issues, mileage is unknown and records spotty. This car would have to be a lot cheaper for me to be interested as you could get an honest SC for a few thousand more. Given your description I would pass.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Absolutely agree that rust would be a deal-killer (for a galvanized P-car) UNLESS it is localized on one panel with a very good explanation as to why it is there (as previously mentioned, an earlier poor repair being the most likely culprit). If instead it is just “popping up” here and there, then you can be assured that there is LOTS more hiding. I wonder if the front pan replacement was also due to rust gone wild?

There are a host of the usual “recommended” items done, such as the Carrera tensioners and turbo tie rods, so it would seem it has had somewhat attentive ownership for at least some of its life. I agree with you that the “7 years” answer on the valve adjustment is worrisome.

The interior looks like cork. The dye job on the uppers to match the new dash looks fine and would not be a detractor for me. The carpeting looks very tired though.

It does not look like a horrible car, and the price is on the low side for Canada, but think long and hard whether you really want to deal with those rust issues (which again, will be more extensive than it looks).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I knew Canada had some serious issues with rust but is it that bad to eat up a galvanized car? Unless the zinc was sanded off before the repaint. Did they replace the head studs?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
I knew Canada had some serious issues with rust but is it that bad to eat up a galvanized car? Unless the zinc was sanded off before the repaint. Did they replace the head studs?

In general it's not that bad... I do have a Florida car, but I also saw a lot of nice local cars with NO rust issues whatsoever, of similar vintage.

Having said that, there are regional disparities. I have heard often that Montreal puts considerably more salt on the roads than Toronto in the winter, so that would obviously be a factor (this is just word-of-mouth though, I can't back that statement up with hard data).

Another factor must be care. Prior to the 964, our cars did not have inner fender liners which means that if gunk is left to accumulate in nooks and crannies, and then soaked with salty slush, well, eventually that has to take a toll. There is only so much zinc to sacrifice...

Of course, many P-cars up here are not driven much (or at all) in the winter.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Oldtee
Pro

I have that car in Petrol Blue, sans electric windows. Paid $7K for it but it had been sitting for 9 years in a heated garage. 68K miles. Took $600 and a set of tires to resurect it. Drive it daily and love it. She shares living space with a 79 SC and I keep hoping they will mate. So far no little 914s running around.
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

I keep hoping they will mate. So far no little 914s running around.
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA, THATS AWESOME!!!

Too bad, give them more time...

Yeah, the rust seems bad. A wire wheel will tell how bad it is. Current owner says its been there for 2/3 years. Yeah, why not just let it grow. A total paint job would run pretty hight. And some engine issues could easily put it over the $20k car... Thats probably why he is selling, does not want to spend another at least $7k on a respray.

The front pan he mentioned in the ad is the section that rots out after the battery acid leaks on it. He bought the car from Vancouver.

No mention of head studs being replaced, I don't think I asked him.

Rust probably all over, no service records, hardly any maintenance. There is not much to decide. I'll probably look at it, drive it just to add to P-Car experience.

Thank you very much guys, for all the help!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I would keep looking.

I paid 14k for my 78SC.

This is what it looks like a few thousand dollars later.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

This is my former 80 911 SC Targa, no rust, ran strong, dyno'd at 172 HP at the wheels.

I sold Jan 07 for $8500.
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM
KoenigsTiger
8th Gear

Wow, $8.5k for that!!! Looks very nice. It is a Targa, but in that condition and price, looks like a steal. I wish we had deals like that here.

I paid 14k for my 78SC.

This is what it looks like a few thousand dollars later.
LOL, a "few."
Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, $8.5k for that!!! Looks very nice. It is a Targa, but in that condition and price, looks like a steal. I wish we had deals like that here.

LOL, a "few."
I had it advertised for several months, there are A LOT of Porsches in Southern California.
Sold to a nice man from Oklahoma that always wanted a 911. It is considered an exotic in his town.

Quick Reply: '78 SC Should Even Be Considered?