Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car audio system question (not buying)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car audio system question (not buying)

Anyone familiar enough with audio systems to give me some advice on dismantling one? The PO didn't pass any literature my way other than the operating instructions for the Panasonic Receiver.

I have to (or would really like to) get to the AC blower in the smugglers box, but it looks like he attached a general purpose or sub woofer amp vertically against the storage compartment/trunk "firewall" over the carpet and above the box.

The audio system seems to have 3 components (?), the Panasonic Rcvr, this Swiss Audio Amp, and a separate little Kenwood control in the cab for the subwoofer.

I would like to safely remove the amp (there's a hot input) so I can gain access to the AC fan motor, but I was wondering if I could bypass/remove some of the hardware - I'm not the subwoofer type (boom chicka) - w/o messing up the tunes.

I got all of the paperwork he had :-( . Don't seem to find much on swiss audio. May not matter too much tho' since the need for AC is diminishing this year. I labeled the wires in the meantime, and will commence de-config and tracing.

In the meantime, I spent the day getting familiar with my car and started making a real to-do list, oh, and I found the O2 sensor connector was unplugged - I get to do a test tomorrow and see how she responds to the first start of the day (needed 30 secs on the throttle to warm up).

just curious - thanks all,
Dan
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Steely
Instructor

Red herring, huh? no worries.

I'll delete the amp temporarily, and double tape the hot pwr lead if not completely remove it. The only thing I didn't cotton to was that the PO told me to be careful with the sub/w control as the diverted power could overwhelm the regular speakers (?!)

In other news, the car started right up this morn for the first time since I picked her up 7/28 - the only thing I did was to connect the O2 sensor cable. The symptoms were: need to give throttle for 30 sec for warm up; and, it idled around 1-1.2K rpm.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

an amp for a sub ought to have a separate fuse - see if you can find that
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Steely
Instructor

Thanks Randy,

It looks like the pwr line to the amp has an in-line fuse. I'm just not familiar w. the spk wiring to/from the head (Rcvr) and the amp and sub. Looks like a separate control comes w/ the sub. I was wondering if I could temporarily jumper the spkrs around the amp and sub, just not sure which at this point or if it's even worth it.

I will try to get the literature from the vendors, although I can't get to the swiss audio site for some reason.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I have bad news for you - you always have to trace these things out...

Be glad the PO didn't leave you with a snarl of wires that go to a car alarm and engine disabler...

Quick Reply: Car audio system question (not buying)