Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bird droppings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bird droppings...

I have a couple bird droppings stains on my hood, I heard its impossible to get it off, is this true?
Already did compound, polish, wax. I actually see it more now.

any suggestions?

thanks, leo
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you try clay bar? What colour is your car? Did you try one of those tar removers? Any pictures?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When it's a stain it's usually there to stay. When my car gets pooped on (I try very hard to never park under wires or trees!) I use wet paper towels loosely balled up and placed on the poop. The water neutralizes the acids, and a half hour later I just wipe the nasty stuff away.

The problem is when you get pooped on and don't know it ...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not tried clay bar, I just had car professionally detailed, they said it wont come off!
I will try posting pics..
Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I bought a new VW Rabbit in 1981, drove home from the dealer, parked in the driveway and left the car overnight. The next morning I saw the poop on the hood, went to work, forgot about the poop, and let the car sit in the sun all day. I looked at those poop stains, through the clear coat into the color, until I sold the car eight years later!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"The water neutralizes the acids..."

- Not unless it is alkali water from Death Valley....

The water will dilute the acids however. I would flush with as much water as I had available as soon as possible.

IF a light color car has been stained long ago there will not be much you can do except to take off the stained level of paint or clear coat. Meguairs Body Scrub will be the safest thing to use.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randywebb

- Not unless it is alkali water from Death Valley....
The water will dilute the acids however. I would flush with as much water as I had available as soon as possible.
Yeah, I guess a little sprinkle of baking soda would help, but that's not always available. The point I was trying to make is that I use the wet paper towel to saturate the poop to the point where it softens (I don't know what birds eat to help with digestion , but the stuff will scratch if you dry-wipe it), which makes it easy to wipe away, taking any remaining acid with it.

My '81 VW was painted a beautiful dark red metallic, with a clear coat, and that nasty poop left cloudy marks that no amount of clay, silicon cleaner, or Meguiar's would fix . I was even warned against repainting the hood unless it was chemically stripped to bare metal!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

birds eat rocks and sand to help with digestion!

also birds never get kidney stones - they have much more powerful concentration abilities than mammals and the white color in their droppings is Uric Acid - very nasty stuff and our mammalian systems can't handle it

OTOH, birds have only a cloaca - a single all-purpose hole that serves for reproduction, urination and elimination -- a little tidbit to discuss with your next hot date over cocktails...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randywebb
-- a little tidbit to discuss with your next hot date over cocktails...
YUCK!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That's what car covers are for. With a Porsche you have two basic choices. You can park out in the open where the sun will do its thing to your finish, or you can go for the false economy and park under a tree for some shade,--but then you have to expect some hits.

I have elected to avoid trees for decades, or religiously use an excellent car cover.

Quick Reply: Bird droppings...