Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Gate Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 915 Gate Shift Kit

Has anyone here tried this? Greg over on the Pelican board is doing a back date on his SC. Forget what his screen name is. I went over last weekend to give them a hand on a few things and I checked out his shifter. I have to tell you it felt great. It actually made the shifter feel really purposeful. (I did not drive the car)

http://www.seinesystems.com/GateShift-1.htm
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Michael, have you replaced all your nylon bushings? I recently did that on my 83SC and it felt like I had a new transmission. I was able to shift without the wobbling search feeling that I felt before. The precision increase was 100%. I don't know why, but I have a good feeling where my gears are and I have not gone from an accidental first instead of third. However, I take my time shifting and I don't race/track.
abe
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drove a mate's car with the Wevo shifter and coupler. very nice...in fact i'm placing an order
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by abe
Michael, have you replaced all your nylon bushings? I recently did that on my 83SC and it felt like I had a new transmission. I was able to shift without the wobbling search feeling that I felt before. The precision increase was 100%. I don't know why, but I have a good feeling where my gears are and I have not gone from an accidental first instead of third. However, I take my time shifting and I don't race/track.
abe

I have no complaints about my shifting at all, and I also have a very good feel for where I need to be. This is almost a fail safe way of not making the money shift. I would think that this, or something like the Wevo is a must for track use.

With this one when you release the shift handle in the neutral position it will automatically spring right to the center between 3rd and 4th.

What else could $150 be spent on?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Michael, I might also be interested, but I am going to let you be the guinea pig....if you like the results, let me know. Also, I read the installation manual and it stated you had to cut the rubber boot (or whatever is called)...let me know if that is also true.
abe
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

abe...if you look at the pictures in the link, the bolt on the right side with the red sleave...when you move the shift lever over to the 1st/2nd position, that bolt moves up about an inch. If you are using a standard rubber boot, you will cut a small slit to allow this movement.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pardon my dumbness; this thread is about Seine Systems, but JV911 (above post #3) has ordered a Wevo set-up. Are Seine and Wevo different companies competing in the same arena? Or, does Seine Systems simply sell Wevo products? If there are two different companies with two different products, which is better?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Peter -

As I understand it, WEVO's Gateshift setup requires pulling the trans apart, and provides a physical gate.

Seine's is a spring / detent system like 5th / Reverse helping to spring you back toward the 3/4 row, but with 1/2 moving right toward 3/4.

I have a Seine setup on the shelf, never got around to installing it (yet).
Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Ill see if I cant get Greg to post about his first hand experience with it....on and off the track.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Peter -
As I understand it, WEVO's Gateshift setup requires pulling the trans apart, and provides a physical gate.
Ah, ha! Thanks, Fred...
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

I have the seine setup in my 84 (also had it in my 86). The reason to buy one is to mainly prevent a $-shift on the track - or by some relative/friend that you allow to drive your car to see how great these old pcars can be - but also some folks just prefer the feel.

A lot of people believe that these things can prematurely wear out your tranny/bushing/etc. They absolutely can, unless you use them correctly. You have to be very methodical about your shifting...for example, as stated above, the seine system will constantly try to position the shifter b/t 3rd and 4th gear. But that means that if you are in 2nd and wanting to upshift (or 5th wanting to downshift), it will want to pull the shifter over to the center. So you need to counter that pull by taking the shifter straight out of 2nd (or 5th), and THEN allowing the shifter to move into neutral. It is an "up from 2nd THEN over to neutral" motion...NOT a diagonal "speedshift" motion from 2nd straight-line to 3rd (those shifts cause the premature wear).

Used properly, it gives the 915 a more accurate/modern feel (IMO anyway).
Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

I like the seine setup, I think that for the money being spent to address this issue it is not only the more cost effective way, but ultimately will prevent premature gearbox wear, as well. The Wevo system is certainly a good option, but make no mistake it is not the easiest thing in the world to install. Certainly not one of those projects that you want to have an ooppppsss on, while installing.

I like the idea of the seines system better as you will notice an appreciable difference in the shifting, it is less expensive, and in my opinion, the option that offers the least amount of brain damage during installation.

Just my 02 cents.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

I posted something way back about the Seine shifter but I don't remember which board it was on (pelican, rennlist, Early 911S, take your pick).. Bottom line is that, on a lateral plane, my shifter felt a bit like a wet noodle even with new bushings. The Seine shift gate has springs that make the 1-2 axis and 5-Reverse axis spring loaded so it takes a little more effort to get to those, and 3-Neutral-4 is the center axis of goodness.

I drove my 915 car for years without one of these things, and never missed a shift, I drove other 915s in better shapes than mine and on some cars, you may not thing it's needed, but I *like* the feel and peace of mind. I'm going to be doing some track work with the 911SC again, now that I sold my more modern 911, and that will help avoiding the money shift (5->2) in the heat of battle ;-)

A seine gate will not "repair" a bad 915, but it sure makes a decent one feel more modern and takes the guesswork totally out of it. You know, a few times a year, when you go 5->4 and at the back of your mind you wonder if that may not have been 2nd, and you let off the clutch gingerly?? No more ;-) And it's cheap, looks good, I may even pull my shifter boot completely...

I am sure WEVO is the dog's bollocks, but a shift gate is better value for the money, no doubt.
It's dirst cheap in comparison!

As for ease of install, well, one "guide" tab needs to be welded on your shifter, and true enough, my mechanic who had never seen this put the springs wrong, but I fixed it after ONE post on the topic, it's not rocket science. If putting air in your tires is 1 and assembling Aero mirrors without instructions and not being a weightlifter is a 10, that's a 2 if you can weld. If you can't weld, it becomes your mechanic's problem (signing a check is a 1)

PS: Backdate is here if someone cares:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ferrerid=25469
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Hey Greg, hows the car coming along? Ready for Sebring?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've got the Seine Systems kit-it's great. Installation is simple, the only option being whether you weld on the tang that picks up 1-2. You can use the supplied hose clamp to hold it on the shifter, but a quick tack weld is better.

My only regret is that I didn't put it in BEFORE I did my money shift last year. Before I took my car back to its first track weekend after the rebuild, I bought this great item and installed it.

It is a very straight forward and effective (and cost-effective) piece of engineering.

Quick Reply: 915 Gate Shift Kit