82 Targa Window Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Targa Window Help

Hello everyone,

First post here on the 911 board as I just acquired an 82 Targa, all original, completley stock car with only 51K miles. It is in fantastic condition. I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum and other sites but can't really find an answer to my problem.

It seeems the windows go up too far. For example, targa top is in place, open the door(s), wind the window up and shut the door. Window doesn't go under the seal but rather the bangs into the targa top and actually forces the top of the window out. The end result is that it doesn't even get close to making a tight seal at the front corner above the "vent" shaped section and gets worse the farther back it goes. There's about 1/2" inch gap at the back of the window. It's the same on both sides but the driver's side seems to be just a slight bit worse fit. Targa top, seals, etc. are all in good shape. No leaks (when the windows are aligned), and no wind noise.

It you put a little inward pressure on the top of the glass while shutting the door, it will go under, but that doesn't seem right. I've basically been leaving the windows down so I don't break something or cause the windows to go off track. I've seen lots of threads about window adjustments but nobody ever mentions this problem...is that what I need to do? If that's the case, how will I know I get it right? Or is it just trail and error? Hardest part of that seems to be taking the door panel apart but I'm pretty sure I can tackle that project. Got real good at that on various other Porsches and BMWs.

I'll try to add a picture to this post tomorrow when I'm at work...car lives there in it's garage next to the 968 Cabriolet while the 240K mile 944 takes the daily abuse!

Thanks,

- Darryl
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
1303RS
Racer

I would adjust the glass. If you are not sure how to do this call a glass company and have them adjust it. You dont want to stress dtyhe glass.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Does this thread help?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...dow+adjustment

John
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

John,

Yes that's very similar...I'll do some "light reading" and see about what my fix(es) may be. My guess is that this particular car has been like this for some time as the PO simply took it to the dealer everytime something went wrong and they probably just told him "all targas leak", but this obviously doesn't even come close to fitting right. If I put the windows up with the top in place, the windows fit super, so perhaps it was adjusted at some point in time to prevent leaks but they made it worse instead of better. Thanks for the link...I've got it bookmarked.

- Darryl

Quick Reply: 82 Targa Window Help