Some work to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some work to do

Two (or 3) questions please...

Anybody know a good indy wrench NNW of Philly, Pa (just in case)? I'm near Dinardo's in Horsham. I'm not PCA active.

What kind of glue do you use for the rubber window/car frame seals? RTV? Looks like mine were replaced, but later on our trip, the seals between the windshield frame and the door windows would droop and fall when we opened the door. (honest honey, it was steal) I can press them in, but the glue dried and doesn't hold.

Now that I have my car, I'm all about fixing some nits. I know I should research, but some of these might ring a bell, so if anybody has any advice on these, I'd be obliged.

It's a to-do list for needed stuff, but unless I get some more overtime, I'll have to wait before I make up a upgrade wish list.

I have a bently manual, but I focused on looking at the fans to see how I troubleshoot a potential issue (we smelled something burning when AC was on).

Looks like I need to score a pair of rear turn/brake signal lenses too - suckers are cracked. (used on pelican?)
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great color car. I wouldn't buy used lenses. If they were not worthy of another car they may not be right for you either. I'm gonna hold out for new having thrown out $60.00 on a used set that was "in great shape" only to be shipped junk. Shop around on line for what you need. Last week I saved $200 off a part that everyone else wanted $517.00 for. The deals are out there for new OEM parts. You just have to search.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Very active with Reisentoter Region.
You should spend the 40 bucks and join the PCA

http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/data/porsche.html
Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, 3M makes a great weatherstrip adhesive - you can find it at almost any autoparts store.
http://www.3m.com/Product/informatio...-Adhesive.html
you also might consider the Euro lenses - they are a bit more distinctive than the US spec, & we need all the help we can get to assure that people don't run into the rear end. I'm sure some vendors here sell 'em, but here is one source... http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...ck%20Trim.aspx
cheers!
ked
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't use RTV, use the 3M stuff ked mentions. I'd go for the higher temp stuff.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug: I'll steer clear of used Doug and do some more searching.
Mussberger: I'm signed up for the Quest program, maybe I'll sned them my VIN and flip over to genuine PCA membership - see what it's all about - probably need to socialize anyway.
ked: As usual, thanks again - that's too easy.
Ed: Thanks - Hi temp it is.

Thanks for the info guys and sorry for the delay here - Went to see the phillies lose (it's a tough life), so I was off the air. First day back at work was tough, I was hoping to hit the mall at lunch (for the 3M), but no such luck.
Hopefully I'll get t a point where I can pay back by helping somebody w/their questions at some point.

Quick Reply: Some work to do