Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need info on brake Master Cylincer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL
HMMMM, if you examine the photo you will notice the white COUPE (me) WAAAAY ahead of numerious cabs (I count 3) WAAAY in the background...I'm just say'n...
I had the impression that you were just about to get lapped.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
LOL, Good one!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, you beat me too it! I was thinking the same thing. He really needs to signal for the Cabs to pass. Dude, lead.. follow... or get out of the way!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Just caught up with this thread, and yes, the bleed order is very important. I'm afraid that I can't offer much help with the bleeder that can be used wet or dry; my shop used a bleeder that held about three gallons, maybe more, of fluid (it was used almost every day!), and that thing was older than dirt. I think that it was made by a company called Branick or something similar. We just plugged the reservoir overflow, replaced the reservoir cap with the machine's cap, put a few psi into the machine and went to work. I can see how the "dry" method, even with a machine, could be satisfactory. After all, that's the same as using the "pump it up," and "hold it" method that is very effective when doing a single caliper repair on a car with known history. Shannon, keep an eye on the reservoir after re-bleeding, if the "crud" returns the m/cyl might be coming apart internally.
Thanks Pete. I did the bleeds in the exact OPPOSITE order of correct. Hopefully that is the problem. I'll check my MC for crud. I'm a little worried about it. Is there a way to check for leaks? If my MC is leaking, will I lose fluid or is it a closed system?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911vet
T Is there a way to check for leaks? If my MC is leaking, will I lose fluid or is it a closed system?
In theory if you hold a constant pressure on the pedal it will slowly go down if it is bad where as with a working MC it will just keep it's place. Well, that's the theory anyways.

Matt, you beat me too it! I was thinking the same thing. He really needs to signal for the Cabs to pass. Dude, lead.. follow... or get out of the way!
Just don't forget where the targas where.....already finished the race, at the pits, and drinking beer.

-matt
Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

In theory if you hold a constant pressure on the pedal it will slowly go down if it is bad where as with a working MC it will just keep it's place. Well, that's the theory anyways.
OK, I (think) I know how to test the booster: Put foot on pedal and start the car, if it goes down a little then the booster is working?

To test the MC, do I apply pressure with the car running?

Just don't forget where the targas where.....already finished the race, at the pits, and drinking beer.

-matt
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 AM
old man neri
Drifting

To test the MC, do I apply pressure with the car running?
From what I have heard, a leaky MC will be noticeable (with car running for ease) when one presses on the pedal with a constant force and the pedal slowly moves down.

-matt
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ALL DELUSIONAL

Last edited by MDL; 08-06-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have heard, a leaky MC will be noticeable (with car running for ease) when one presses on the pedal with a constant force and the pedal slowly moves down.

-matt
This is correct. I had to change mine out a few months back. You are also correct in how to test the booster.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=master
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deep_uv
This is correct. I had to change mine out a few months back. You are also correct in how to test the booster.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=master
OK, I did the tests. The pedal does move slightly when I start the car - indicates the booster is working.

And the pedal does NOT move when constant pressure is applied. That suggests the MC is "OK."

I'll do the re-bleed (in the correct order this time!) as soon as some more ATE arrives from my good buddy, amr89c4 aka Lynn.

deep_uv - you need to get Lynn to the track down there in Austin. I'm taking mine to Mid Ohio for the first time next week assuming the brakes end up ok.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I did the tests. The pedal does move slightly when I start the car - indicates the booster is working.

And the pedal does NOT move when constant pressure is applied. That suggests the MC is "OK."

I'll do the re-bleed (in the correct order this time!) as soon as some more ATE arrives from my good buddy, amr89c4 aka Lynn.

deep_uv - you need to get Lynn to the track down there in Austin. I'm taking mine to Mid Ohio for the first time next week assuming the brakes end up ok.
I'm working on him.

Mid Ohio, I'm jealous! Have fun, you're gonna love it.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I did the bleed today. It's better but I'm not totally satisfied. I guess I want that pedal to feel like I'm pushing on a rock wall when I hit it.

Apparently the order of the bleed is indeed VERY IMPORTANT! I did it correctly this time and when I got to the fronts, old fluid came out. That was shocking to see. When I flushed the system a few weeks ago, I used over 2L of new ATE Blue. I watched the old stuff come out and new blue flow and flow and flow before I closed the valve. I would have sworn there was no old fluid in the lines.

I guess doing it in the wrong order allowed some to remain trapped and it got pushed to the fronts when I did the rears. Or when I did the clutch.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Shannon, I'm not sure if you've resealed your calipers, but if you haven't that can help with pedal "feel," but don't forget, the machine that you drive has a little bit of racer built in, and if the pedal is rock hard and "on" when you touch the pedal, you can't modulate your braking while preparing for a corner. If this will be your first time at the track, and the weather is hot, be prepared to do a quickie brake bleed during the event. Let me know about your calipers!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Shannon, I'm not sure if you've resealed your calipers, but if you haven't that can help with pedal "feel," but don't forget, the machine that you drive has a little bit of racer built in, and if the pedal is rock hard and "on" when you touch the pedal, you can't modulate your braking while preparing for a corner. If this will be your first time at the track, and the weather is hot, be prepared to do a quickie brake bleed during the event. Let me know about your calipers!
I didn't reseal the calipers, as they appeared to be ok. And the car stops as if the calipers are hitting evenly - it doesn't pull at all. But I suppose like all the other rubber parts on my car... they are probably due for replacement soon.

Good point about the pedal feel and being able to modulate braking. Perhaps I'm better off with it the way it is. I can't say they feel squishy after the rebleed... they just don't seem to have the braking power I want. I'm using OE style pads (Jurid, I think). Might need something else. I'll probably burn them up at the track anyways... so what should I get to replace them? I don't plan to do many track events, but I drive some seriously twisty hilly roads and brakes are important here.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:35 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

If your brakes can lock your wheels up...ya can't get more braking power imo. Everything else is just "feel" and "heat management" (i.e. preventing brake fade). That said, although my Carrera brakes were excellent, I "upgraded" to 930 calipers (w/ a 23 mm m/c), and it totally changed the way my brakes "feel", along with the added insurance of no brake fade when driving twisty mountain roads, etc. Now my car "feels" like I have an eleventh commandment: Thou shall stop NOW !

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: Need info on brake Master Cylincer replacement