Valve Adjustment at home.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 08:24 PM
a3holerman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

Well here is a thought on doing some of your own maintance. Aside from the substancial cost savings there is a great deal of pride and satifaction. Driving a well tuned high performance auto that you maintain is one of the best parts of owning a Porsche. Damm it just feels good that you did your own valve adjustment. To know you took your time and did it exactly right.

Years ago I bought a ragged out Harley low rider. I took every nut and bolt off it and rebuilt it completely in my barn with my 5 year old son watching and helping. He is 16 now, although his interests are different,hopes to be a film maker, he has a wonderfull appreciation for things mechanical. I taught him , when we went out to the barn after dinner , to tell his Mom "I'am going out to the barn to wrench on the hog with Dad". Not sure my wife really understood what I was trying to do. The best part of riding was knowing we had rebuilt it and it ran wonderfull.

I get off my soap box now.........Good luck

Tom

Cape Cod
Old 12-01-2001, 11:08 PM
964Cab
Instructor

I used the, "Rhino Ramps" to do a twin plug with a feeler gauge and other than a nagging back pain the proces was fun. In the future I will invest in a micro-metric gauge as the feeler gauge method is too awkward on a twin plugger 911.

Patrick
Old 12-02-2001, 12:07 AM
a3holerman
Intermediate

Patrick,

What is the micro-metric method ???

Tom
Old 12-02-2001, 12:09 PM
964Cab
Instructor

I was referring to the metricv dial guage that reads in 0.01mm units. Attach the dial guage to a nearby stud via so called "Z-bar" and see visually the 0.10mm that your trying to achieve. With the feeler gauge it's all in the "feel" and on many of the rocker valves the visual aspect isn't there .

Patrick

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment at home.