Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 AM
1fastline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel smell in cabin

Car is 1986 Carrera, and yes I have read the other threads but still have questions. Smell is in cabin only when in garage overnight, does not happen when parked outside. No smell ouside of car, only very slight wiff up close to fender expansion tank. No puddles. No smell around gas filler. With hood open over night no smell in cabin. With hood closed and gas cap off, no smell either. No seepage noted anywhere inside evap fuel hoses but very slight wiff of fuel. Same for fuel sender.

My guess: When sitting outside air circulation clears the odor. Vapor expansion permeatrion in evap systrm hoses and/or interior small plastic tank as well as possible crack. Possible crack in fender tank.

Solution: Replace hoses and/or int/ext tanks

Any opinions on how to ptoceed. It seems to be getting worse but it is also getting warmer in the garage here in FL!

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

I had a similar issue - mine was actually fuel smell while driving - but only if I opened a window or the sunroof. Ended up that the connection from the fuel pump to the pressure hose wasn't 100% and was spraying some fuel in the tray below it. One more easy thing to check. Good luck on finding your problem!!! Your issue does sound more like a hose issue - but I'd check everything just in case.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big potential fire hazard. Check it out before you drive it.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is usually the early warning symptom that factory fuel lines give - during cool down a slight amount of fuel vapor escapes past the swedged fittings (where the rubber sections join to the steel sections); this happens before an actual fuel leak occurs. Do a thread search for Douglas Bray's recent experience. He just did the engine compartment fuel lines and a couple of improvements to his '88 Cab...I think that he even offered a parts list.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was reading this thread and was thinking the smell was up front, not in the back.

You will need help from a higher power if you try to follow my thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=fuel+lines

Pete, someone has to post a real thread on this. I was also after a vacuum leak and a head temp sensor.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I was reading this thread and was thinking the smell was up front, not in the back.
At first I thought the same thing, but then I remembered a car that we fixed that had the same symptom, along with an owner with a very good sniffer, and it turned out to be the engine compartment hoses. We never did figure out the whys of it...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
honeybadger
Track Day

I had this problem in my Nissan in a couple months... turns out the problem was in the fuel pump seal.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell in cabin