Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Line Fitting on Oil Tank Stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Line Fitting on Oil Tank Stripped?

I replaced the thermostat and oil lines from the thermostat to the engine and to the oil tank yesterday, and everything went well until I put oil in the tank and fired it up. I have a pretty good leak coming from the fitting at the bottom of the oil tank, coming from oil line side of the nut, not the tank side. I have wrenched down on the nut to where it won't leak when the engine is off, but I still get a drip, drip, drip when engine is running. I've backed it off a few times to try and re-seat it but to no avail. I've wrenched on it pretty hard and don't want to do much more.

On closer examination it looks like I might have cross threaded the fitting nut on the tank, it doesn't look like it's quite square on the fitting..

OMG what have I done???

Pelican sells thread savers for the thermostat, I wonder if they would work on the oil tank.

If I cross threaded, what threads would be wrecked first, oil tank or oil line fitting? My guess oil tank.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by genripper; 07-14-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and additional question
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

well doesn't matter cause your oil is coming back out, may as well get started and git her done. I agree wit you though I would think the tank, but ya never know. Whip her out and let the healing begin
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you cross threaded, you will be able to see it on the threat (the tank) if you take the hose off of it. Are you sure you cross threaded it or it's the crimp that leaks?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have cross threaded don't panic - take it to a shop and they will run a thread chaser down it which should (with a bit of luck) restore the thread. You may need a new oil line though.

PJC
Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update--Took the oil line off, the nut on the line is OK, but the fitting on the tank is seriously cross-threaded. The tank is out of the car and hopefully I can get the threads chased clean. Anybody have any idea what the thread size is on the fittings?

Quick Reply: Oil Line Fitting on Oil Tank Stripped?