Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint

I am removing the window tint from my coupe.....finally. I felt like I was in an episode of pimp my ride, the tint was on the car when I bought it.
Concerning the the back window with the defroster lines. What are my chances of not ruining these?
My method thus far has been a heat gun lightly applied to the tint then using of all things a degreaser and razor blade to remove the glue and of course a lot of paper towels. I tried 3M adheasive remover but the degreaser works better.
This work proceeds quite slowly but is coming out well.
I am worried about the back window.........tips anyone?
Ranchless Mike
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ranchless Mike, lots of water or windex. I'd use water in a spray bottle. Put towels over all your interior and just drench the heck out of the film. Do it out of the sun so it doesn't evaporate. Go slow, put the razors back in the tool box.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I was able to peel the top layer off which left the adhesive behind. I then attacked it with goof off. It worked pretty well. watch the fumes!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Hester
Instructor

I have a steamer that works pretty well with stuff like that. If you want, you can come over and try it and, if it works, I'll let you borrow it.

It is undoubtedly going to be the most gentle, non-caustic thing you can use.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Steamer? It just so happens I have one. I will give it a try. Thanks to you and Hester. Mike
Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont' scrape with razor blades, you will ruin your defroster lines. Mix up a solution of ammonia and put it in a spray bottle. Cover everything carefully then spray the tint film. Leave the car in the sun and let it get hot then peel away. Don't inhale........ Be patient and try to lift a corner then slowly peel away. You might not have to scrape at all.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Got it and thanks. Ammonia is next as the other tries have failed to make a dent in the evil tint on the back window although I have not tried goof-off. That glue is something else. What a pain in the **** to un-ghettoize my ride.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Hold the presses! Took everything you guys said, put the ideas in bowl and picked an answer..........and it worked.
1. Place a heating pad, that is my idea (the one for my old man back), turn it on high and place it on the the outside of the window, cover with a towel so it gets reeeeel toasty. This is for 15 minutes
2. Get inside and just start a little corner with a razor blade, just enough to get a finger nail on it.
3. Start pulling. The tint comes off with great ease.
4. Move the heating pad to the next section and repeat.
5. Amonia just seemed to harsh so I stuck with spray degreaser from the auto parts store and paper towels. My interior is quite nice, couldn't take any chances

The back window took about an hour and a half.
Now I don't feel like I am driving in a cave.....quite heavenly.
Since I was in that back seat made for Billy Barty I have now pulled something and I need the heating pad. Go figure.
Ranchless Mike
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

What I saw someone else do was just cover the outside with a garbage bag, using windex so it sticks to the window without air bubbles. Then put windex on the inside, park it in the sun for 15, and off she comes.

Quick Reply: Window tint