Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opening Front vent Windows retro

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Opening Front vent Windows retro

Found someone who has a pair of fron opening vent windows pulled from a 73 Targa.

Does anyone know if these can be fitted in an 82 Targa without serious modification?

John
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John, that is a great question. I know that in 1977 the Targas, had the new security style non-opening door vent windows, in order to help combat theft. Then when the Cabriolets were started to be made, they too had the no-opening front vent windows. From what is indicated in my body and parts programs, it would appear that they would be pretty much an R&R type replacement for your 1982 model 911. I can't say for 100% that this is so, but my reference materials seem to imply that it would work. I actually prefer that they do not open on my Cab, but... that is just me. I prefer them to be non-opening, not so much for the reason that Porsche made the change, for better anti-theft protection, but for having a couple of less possible sources for water leaks. With a Cab, I really don't think that there would be much difference, as far as them being an anti-theft solution, because if they want in, the top can be cut to allow unlocking the doors.
If you attempt this mod to your car, please post pictures so all can share the knowledge from you doing this on your car, so others may tackle the task if they get the notion to do the same thing. Good luck with the vent window mods, if you decide to go through with it. Tony.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

I found out that the 74-75 opening vent windows fit the SC without modification.

Just need to find out if the pre-74 will, and I think they are made of brass, won't bend like the aluminum and lighter.

John

Quick Reply: Opening Front vent Windows retro