Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone had this starting problem before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone had this starting problem before?

On my way north to Yosemite through the Mojave desert, my oil temperature got up to ~248 degrees. When it did, I slowed down and adjusted my driving habits to preservation mode. Lower speeds dropped the oil temperature.

This temperature fluctuated depending on the grade and vehicle speed. It never got past 248 and mostly between 200 and 230 for this section of the drive. Ambient temperatures were about 90 degree F. I drove in this heat for about 2 1/2 hours straight.

Before I stopped for gas, the temp. was about 220. No abnormal power or performance issues. When I finished the fill-up, my car would not start. I could hear the ignition switch make contact. I checked my battery fluid levels and all were well.

I concluded that the starter or solenoid got too hot.

I left the car at the station and got lunch. I figured that if it was temperature related, it would start again (or I would have to call AAA for help). Sure enough after 30 minutes in the shade, the car fired right up.

No other issues like this on the trip. I averaged 24 mpg with cool temperature average highway speeds of ~75 to 80 mph. No issues with temperature increases or starting during high grade climbs (no hot ambient and lengthy drive conditions occurred).

Has anyone else had this type of hot starting problem? Will a new starter and/or solenoid cure the issue? Or, is this typical for our air cooled motors?

In my normal driving routine, the oil temperature rarely gets over 220 in city driving. '88 Carrera with manually operated Spal fan for slow speed breeze assistance.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:14 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you heard the click click sound of the solenoid then its either the starter ?brushes or perhaps bad contacts in the solenoid the feeds the juice to the starter. If it happens again...get a hammer and hit the starter...it will force contact in the brushes/ or solenoid itself. Not sure about why it happened in the heat...but if its an old starter then getting a new one or taking it to a place that can check it out...brushes/replace solenoid will probably fix the problem...IMHO
abe
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

heat soaked starter seams to be quite common
Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Based on anecdotal evidence (some of it from my old starter), I'd say they cook, over time. The problem keeps getting worse, with the starter failing when it's hot and coming back to life when it's cool.

Eventually, you get the newer high-torque model, which is a Toyota starter adapted for our cars.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

My old VW Thing used to have the same problem after a 3-4 hour drive in the summer for the 15 years I've owned it.

I would just wack it with a BF hammer and it solved the problem.

Still never replaced the starter before selling it.

John
Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat soak. The 914 is famous for it. Just like the others said high torque starter is the answer.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - I had the same problem. Didn't happen on regular around town driving - just when going for 2 straight hours or more - didn't even need to be in the mojave (although it happened to me there as well). I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend who could pop the clutch on a push start for me..... Wasn't that fun in the desert! New starter - no problems. Just do it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had this starting problem before?