Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Racing Rain Tires mounted on the car trailer (alum)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Rain Tires mounted on the car trailer (alum)

Sold my 912 Fri to a Lockheed engineer and he came over with his home made race trailer. It was all alum with his own welding and some pretty nice rivet work. I noticed the 4 wheels on the trailer(on the ground/axle) were P car and made comment about it. he said "those are my rain tires, it was the best place i could carry them because of space".

No doubt this is an old idea that I have seen it for the first time. Pretty smart engineering, and you should have seen his alum welds. Not to mention the rivets were all straight where they were bucked, and no head dings.

I have bought a few cars and things from engineers and have found this to be common--- they take care of stuff, keep records, and so far I have not been lied to or mis-led.

But, I sure would like to have that trailer.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

That fine gentleman leads a charmed existence,.....

DOT-R tires are not made for those loads and the consequences can be VERY expensive. I'd discourage anyone from that practice regardless of trailer weight,..
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take a wild stab and say they weren't R compounds. Probably just some full tread 215/60-15s or such on a 5X130 wheel?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

------Steve----------------------

That fine gentleman leads a charmed existence,.....

DOT-R tires are not made for those loads and the consequences can be VERY expensive. I'd discourage anyone from that practice regardless of trailer weight,..
He runs a 914 on the alum tlr. The wheels were the cookie cutter shape and I dont know about the tires. Seemed like a good idea. Might be he was pulling my leg or that they were not true racing rain tires.

HOWEVER, Mr. Steve, I think you this is the second time you have gotten me on the right track. Remember those 911 RINGS I was so excited about, the rings made in LA?? that you steered ,me away from? Maybe I got a loose steering knuckle or something.

Quick Reply: Racing Rain Tires mounted on the car trailer (alum)