Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Broken Wheel Stud

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Wheel Stud

Whats the method for removing a broken wheel stud... i was taking off my front wheels to have the tires balanced... and a wheel stud snapped... Thanks in advance..
Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are going to have to take off the hub and pound it out thru the back. Getting the dust cover off is going to be the hard part of the job. You may need to use alot of heat from a blue torch like from old man neri's bag of tricks. if that doesn't work, a can of spray ice can be had at the auto parts store, but really it should just pound out. Performance or Pelican with have the new stud.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

It was the locking nut and snapped off down by the base (about a 1/4 inch showing... the wheel is still on the car... Can I remove the dust plate and drill out the stud with the wheel still on the car?
I was going to cut a slot in it with my cut off tool and apply heat and use a hammer and chisel to try to break it free... is that a bad idea?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The stud presses into the hub with splines. You don't want to damage the bearings by hitting the stud without the hub being supported. Like douglas said, pull the wheel off, undo the caliper and hang it from a coat hangar, remove the bearing dust cover, and outer bearing and hub. Support the hub on wood and use a hefty punch and heavy hammer (try to use a brass hammer with a steel punch, or the opposite) to drive out the broken stud. I don't think that I've ever seen a broken lug nut stud, which means that you're going to want to look closely at the other four!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Pete... How do I get the wheel off? The locking lug nut sheered off with the wheel on the car.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh my, if I understand, a portion of the wheel lock is still on the stud? Then you have a project ahead of you that requires a huge amount of patience! You need small-tipped cold chisels, hammers, maybe a dremel to cut slots or notches, etc. Put a couple layers of duct tape on the wheel around the work area, get comfortable, and start chipping away at it - there's really no easy way.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

that is correct Pete. wow. thanks. ill let you know my progress.. sounds ugly.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I have heard of some people getting damaged wheel locks off by hammering on an undersized 12 point socket and using that to unscrew the remains of the wheel lock. It's hard to tell if will work in your case with out seeing a picture of damage. But you will probably have to do as Pete says.

Quick Reply: Broken Wheel Stud