Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Golfnutt77
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 911

First post, first Porsche. Backround I'm turning 40 this year and need, must have, desire a mid life crisis car. I have decied on the 911. I have always loved the 911 and it fits the bill to haul around my two boys. I have two options, buy an older 911 and have three cars in my family or buy maybe a newer 911 and sell the Cooper S. Finally the question. Best 911 for around 15k and best 911 for around 40k. Qualifications for best

Value
Dependibality
Future Value
Mechanical soundness

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I don't know much about the 40K range but for the 15K range you might be able to get an SC but it probably won't be the best of shape.

Dependability and mechanical soundness on depend on the condition of the car you buy. You can imagine that after 25 years of driving and various owners some cars are better than others. As for value, an 80's 911 has probably depreciated as much as it will, they are dropping as we speak but that might be more due to the fear of a recession and everyone wanting to sell their toys.

One other thing to note and 40K 911 and a 15K 911 are two very different 911s. The 40K one will be much newer and more refined but perhaps not as easy to work on and not have as much feel. (not to sure, I have never touched one). A 15K 911 will have a lot more feel to it and be rawer but it won't have such things as A/C or cup holders. Someone once put it 'One is the space shuttle the other is a rocket sled'

There is a book called 'the used 911 story' by Peter Zimmerman, who is a valued member on this board, it might be worth while picking up. It will help guild you through the different changes over many years that 911s were produced.

I hope that clears up a few things. Again, that is just my view, I am sure others will chime in with a different view.

Cheers!
-matt
Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

20K+/- will get you a very very nice 83SC. Why the SC...I am glad you asked. Engines are bullet proof if taken care of they can run 200K. The 3.2 engine that followed 84-89 although good, not as good as the 3.0. Second, still has a classic look. Third, you can still fix stuff yourself. Fourth, by the time they got to the 83 all the bugs were worked out (earlier models had smog pumps... ). I just love my 83...more than my 07 997 Targa. Everytime you get in the car, it reminds you what driving is all about. The newer the model you get, the more detached from the road you become. I would also consider an 89....thats my next buy. And, yes get Zimmermans book.
IMHO\abe
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Welcome in advance to the addiction!

Mark
1987 Carrera Coupe - Granite Green
Old 06-14-2008, 02:31 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Welcome in advance to the addiction!
You will not regret 911 ownership, unless you make a bad buy and get eaten alive by repair costs or find out you have a car that was not presented as what it turns out to be. My suggestions are these.

1. Join the national Porsche Club of America and find out from the local guys who is a good repair shop and an honest/skilled owner. May cost you $35 to join and save you $3500 in problems. You then use that man, your new best resource, to inspect any and all cars you become interested in Before you buy it.
2. We have a 1983 SC and the plan was to move up to the Carrera. After a lot of education on this site, we are going to stay with the '83SC. I think the '82 and '83 are the pick of the bunch. They are less complex and well debugged at that point.
3. Selling a 911 right now is more difficult because of the economy and fuel prices. Once you make your buy, you may not be able to sell it quickly, if you decide to, or maybe at the price you paid(maybe you loose some money). A $15,000 car is easier to sell than a $40,000 car. If you want out, the loss is less on the 911SC.
4. Do you tinker or want to tinker? Many guys in high stress jobs go home and turn a wrench for a little bit to unwind and avoid head shrinker costs. If you do not want to or can not work on your own car, then pay a few thousand more to buy the best.
5. Dont be in a hurry. Prices are not on the rise and the more you learn the happier you will be.

The 911 is the most fun production car made and cool to drive, every time.

6. Order Zimmermans book about how to buy a Porsche 911. It will create more questions for you, and that is where you want to go. The more questions, the more answers-- there is no end and part of the enjoyment of the car.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Up the price to low $20k's and look for a 87-89 911. Should be able to find a nice one with 70-85k miles.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

While given my choice I rather have an old 911 in the garage before a newer one the prices on the 996 C4S is in that 40K Range for sure! But if you want the real 911 experiance in the 15K+ range an SC or Carrera is the way to go.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Mark S in NM
Track Day

The best 79-83 SC you can find for 15k, best 95-97, 993 C2 for 40k.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 AM
jhubs
Racer

My $.02 as I have owned both an 1987, 911 Carrera and 1995, 993 Carrera. You can see the reflection of my 87 in the 95's paint in my avatar.
For the sheer fun of driving a real Porsche sports car, the older $20k cars can't be beat, but be prepared to "invest" time and $$s. The 87-89s are the best value and are bullet proof, IMO.
And, arguably, one of the most beautiful 911s ever made, a 1995-98, 911, 993 and you can get a very, very good one for under $40k. Stick with the 2 wheel drive models. Don't get anything newer than a 1998, as you will probably regret it, IMO. Stick with the 2 wheel drive, Air Cooled Porsche and get the real Porsche experience. There are lots of Cabriolets out there, but get a Coupe. Good Luck!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Cabs, the rear seat-backs angle slightly forward (yes, forward) to give room for the folded-down top, meaning your kids will hunch over. I have a 9 YO son who fits back there still when needed.

There's nothing wrong with an older than '87 3.2L Carrera, they're just a little different, IMO. A good-shifting, well maintained 915 trans car vs. a hydraulic ($$) clutch G50... is it really worth it?

I bought mine as a midlife car too. I didn't want a Vette (too many of them around), I wanted something SPECIAL. I got behind the wheel of my '84 & felt instantly transported back to the cockpit of a WWII fighter plane - free, timeless, part of the machinery. It's more of a cog-in-the-works integrated feel the older you go. 964's (89-93??) are fine cars, as with ANY of the vintages, they have their own quirks. The 3.6L is torquier than the 3.2L, but it's also a heavier car too. The 4WD 964's (IMO) push worse than later 4WD 911's, and picture the 4WD system for getting through snow more than traction through corners - at least what I felt when I drove one. The earlier you go, the lighter you get. You should see the guys in the fun-run group I run with & their '69-'70 vintage rides... hanging the back out through the corners too...

Personally, I think the '84-'86 cars represent a good target now for your price range, though there is a LOT to be said for the "every 911 is at least a $20k car" addage - pay up front for one that's been modded / maintained, or do it yourself after. Me, I did both.

I'm thrilled with the dependability of the '84 I have, the ability to chip it, classic looks, drop-top w/ the Cab (though I'm thinking about selling for a more RS-look Coupe based on newer chassis now). Relatively easy to work on, less of the early-911 rust issues, & so on. Anyway, after the rebuild of my 915 trans & the lightweight clutch, shifting's eeeeeaaasssssyyyy.

Drive any of the cars that interest you, see what you like & don't, research the don'ts if it's something that can be easily /inexpensively addressed, & choose what's right for you. Each sub-model will have its own rewards you can point to.

Welcome aboard Rennlist, & good luck with your search.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:44 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I would agree on the SC While I throughly enjoy the power etc of my 997 GT3 I find my '83 SC absolutely pure fun to drive. I agree that the engine is very solid. Mine is a Euro spec with over 130,000 miles on it. I autocross it and the previous owner took it to the track for DE's on a regular basis. The engine has never been opened and it runs strong. The body is solid as the SC was the first body that was galvanized dipped for rust protection. The 915 transmission is better than the older ones and if you added a WEVO shifter it is even better ( remember no syncro. in first but that is not an issue) Interestingly I have noticed that the SC model years are going up in price as like the previous poster said more and more people are realizing what a great car they are. A/C was standard but not the best although several venders make improvements for it. Enjoy the search and your future 911
Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome..As was asked earlier do you like to tinker with your cars? Many people admire older 911's ( 80's) but that doesn't neccesarily mean that ownership is right thing for them. Older 911's drive like older cars period(i.e. a little rougher ride, no power steering etc..etc ). Research as much information as you can in the end it will pay off.

Have you ever owned any sport cars? If so what types? What are you comfort levels?

On a lighter note older 911's have a certain feel that newer 911's just can't match..it's the idosyncrasies that makes the car what it is. I have owned 3 911's (an 85 911..a daily driver for 7 years.94 3.6 turbo and now an 89 targa). While all may have been similar each one has had it's plus and minuses. It is best to test drive as many as you can and try to buy the best one for your budget(as that will probably keep cost down in the long run and make Porsche ownership seem worth while).

Whatever you chose we are here to help..

Happy hunting...
Old 06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by old man neri
Well, I don't know much about the 40K range but for the 15K range you might be able to get an SC but it probably won't be the best of shape.
I actually got my '78 911SC with only 34K original miles for $15995. You just have to look around a little

But yeah, check out Pete Zimmerman's book about buying a used Porsche, it has great info on common problems areas and strengths of all the 911s. And like everyone else, I would highly recommend an SC. Great reliability, great all-around car, and they cost less to modify than newer ones also, so if you feel the need for mo' powa, you won't break the bank buying some aftermarket parts.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Porsche8777
Instructor

I looked for 3 years before I found my '83 cab. That was the only one I was interested in since it was the last year of the SC and first year of a 911 cab so the car is a little unique. It has proven to be as reliable as my 98 BMW Z3 which was a very trouble free car. I do most of my own work and have found it fairly simple to work on if you don't mind all the stuff you have to get out of the way to work in the engine compartment.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Golfnutt77
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the input. I have ordered The used 911 story and am starting a search for a 82 or 83 911SC. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Best 911