Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

------------
It has high miles, but the engine was rebuilt two years ago
-------------------

Rebuilt engine is sort of a trick statement in the 911 world. Was it a rebuild that was a top overhaul with new rings??, or new cyls and pistons($3000). Or did the cases come apart and the main bearings and layshaft bearings get replaced along with chains, valve job, new cyls and pistons etc,etc. Also, who rebuilt it. If it was a certain SoCal company, walk away. If it is a good shop, then get a pre-buy inspection. A complete rebuilt engine is worth $10,000 to some. If it has a valid shop rebuilder with papers and a complete rebuild, this seems a good deal. I like original paint. Interesting note, you may find the WHITE paint sells for less. The Germans dont like them, so they leave them for us.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 AM
por012773
Intermediate

TroyN,
Thanks, I'm positive I will need some help as this will be my first Porsche. I plan to use the car as a weekend toy, and small road trips up in the mountains. You know as well as I, there are some great driving roads in Colorado. I'd like to get involved with PCA and meet other Porsche nuts to talk about our cars. In regards to the RoW SC, there are a couple of things that give it away. First, the vin # has a 3 for the fifth digit, which means it'sa RoW car, it would be a 4 if it was a US model. Second, if you look at the bumperettes on the rear bumper, they are smaller in size than US bumperettes. Good luck with the 930, I love turbocharged cars, the torque is truly addictive. That car is going to be a blast!

JackOlsen,
Thanks for those tips, I definately plan to get a PPI before I buy anything, and both owners said they had no problem with me getting a PPI.

jakeflyer,
The owner has all the invoices for the rebuild, and it was done by a reputable shop, but I can't remember everything that was done. I know the top end was done with new valve guides, etc. It still has the original cylinders and pistons, but all new rings, the case was also split,but not sure of all the work done on the bottom. The list was 2 or 3 pages long, I just can't remember everything that was done.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What Did You Do???

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

It still has the original cylinders and pistons, but all new rings, the case was also split,but not sure of all the work done on the bottom.
Here is the problem with the Porsche 911-- the specs between the pistons and cyls is really tight. Over 100,000 may mean the the pistons are under. They cyls are probably ok. Without the actual measurements of the pistons, it is had to say. Unfortunate they did not spend the extra $3000 and do it up right.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
por012773
Intermediate

Well guys, I've decided to buy the '88 Carrera. I had a PPI done and everything looks pretty good. The leakdown test was done with the engine cold, and showed 4% to 6% across all 6 cylinders. I think those numbers would improve with a warm engine. The brakes are good, suspension good, heat exchangers good, transmission and clutch good. The tires are in fair condition.

The following are things that are not perfect. The paint on the hood is poor. The turn signals work, but the blinkers in the dash don't light up, the rear window wiper doesn't work. The driver side window switch for the passenger window doesn't work. The engine sound pad is missing (no wonder I could hear that flat six so clearly in this car). There are some very minor oil leaks. And the mechanic recommended an oil change, transmission oil change and tighten the engine fan belt.

This car is not perfect, but I think it will be a great driver, it really drives very nicely. And I'm looking forward to driving it and slowly restoring it. I'll post some pictures of it soon after I pick it up. Thanks again for all the help.

Scott
Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I would say the 88 Carrera is not priced too low, I would say its priced just about right. The car needs thousands of interior work which will put it in the 21-22K range....even if the motor is rebuilt its priced about right. How long ago was it rebuilt....how far down did they go? Just top end? I also agree the rotors and brake lines are no big plus dont let him tell you otherwise. Turbo tie rods are also not much more expensive than regular ones! I did mine when I bought my car because the old tie rods were just about done for. The only PLUS the 88 carrera has (other than being an 88 Carrera and not an 80SC) is the motor rebuild. Assuming its top end only thats about 6K at an honest mechanic. Subtract all the interior/cosmetics I'd say its a pretty good deal. I would go with the carrera, they are a blast to drive and I just restored my interior. It looks great and drives nice too Good luck with the choice.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Well looks like you made a good choice....the only thing that you listed that is actually somewhat expensive is the engine sound pad. I am not sure but most people have the engine dropped out to do that and it can be costly just due to the R&R. Other than that its just a few electrical issues....something my car never ceases to have haha.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 AM
por012773
Intermediate

As soon as I get the records, I'll post what was done in the rebuild. It was much more than just the top end, I just can't remember everything that was done.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 AM
por012773
Intermediate

The mechanic said he could do the sound pad for $250. But I may just leave as is. Maybe I'll change my tune after a long road trip though, lol!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If you're even moderately good with DIY stuff, you can probably do the window switch, speedo gauge wires and rear wiper yourself. You could do the oil and transaxle fluid, too, but it's messy the first time and newbiles often end up putting too much in. The sound pad is a very minor thing. I'd wait and do it when the engine is out for another reason, sometime down the road, and get the updated one from Pelican Parts.

The only warning I can offer is to wait as long as you can before you take the thing to a track day. When you see what your car is capable of in stock trim, your heart and your will money somehow manage to line up for a steep dive down a long and very slippery slope.

But congratulations on joining the 911 club. You'll love it.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, very cool, congrats, and you must post pics in a new thread!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Thanks bullit....I have the issue , I was just curious if anyone else had read them. They seem to be really optomistic...I wonder where they come up with their info. Dont get me wrong...I like seeing the value of my car go up, but with the people's scare of what is happening to the economy, I am not so sure the prices are completely realistic at this time.
The prices are BS IMO. Show me the data as they say. I'm ready for the flames!

Hmm...maybe I should consider that SC to match the one in my avatar! FWIW, I'm not keen on the rear spats either.

Congrats on the '88. Great car. Motronic is a real plus as said. Let us know what the engine rebuild included.

Mike
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 AM
por012773
Intermediate

Thanks guys, for the words of encouragement. I should be picking the car up tomorrow. I'll definately post pics as soon as I get it cleaned up a bit. And I will post a more detailed list of the engine rebuild as well.

Scott

Quick Reply: What Would You Do???