Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windshield woes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Will a C2/C4 windshield seal fit my '88? I noticed it does not have the grove for the metal trim.

-matt
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My metal is doing the same thing. I think you need a new gasket thats what i am going to do seems like the only thing that could be messed up.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

993 seal and windshield. It doesn't just look nicer, cleaner, but reduce a lot of noise. I am not sure if you can do 993 seal on 911 windshield.

Here is the link AXIOM (Prof shop) talked about it. His service ethic and price is the best around.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...993+windshield
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Ya, that's awesome and everything. It's just that the windshield is not that old and I don't feel like buying a new one when I can just use the seal. Know what I mean?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 AM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by old man neri
It's just that the windshield is not that old...?
I was wondering how old this windshield is and what company installed it?

I had a conversation with the glassman that installed my 993 replacement windshield ($950) the other day and he told me that not all windshields and windshield glass are created equal. I won't go into deep detail, but he said that one big auto glass company buys rejected or warped forms, from other glass companies, that they then use to produce replacement windshields. The use of these cheap forms alow them to make a larger profit per windshield and pay off their debt and interest on that debt quicker. Their debt is do to a buyout of another major auto glass company. The warped or poorly fit windshields that have to be replaced are then written off as a loss for tax reasons...some racket, huh?

IMO, if you have an older Porsche and you replace the windshield, have the installer put sealant in the rubber seal or you will risk water leaking into the cabin.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

come to think about it a little more detail, I remember there are 2 seal, an inner seal and an outer seal. They both glued to the frame. The windshield is staying in between the 2 seals. My old windshield always has the gap between the seal and the metal frame. I used silicone to fill it up and cover the holes but it look like crab. Axiom could be able to cover the frame nicely with 993 set. I am not sure if you can do the same with 911 windshield but if you decide to try, it might worth it.
good luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a glass company install a new windshield, seal and aluminum trim and all the parts were ordered from the Porsche dealership and was fully covered by insurance.

They refused to use aftermarket glass because of quaility issues.

No problems since the install 6 months ago.

John
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhubs
I was wondering how old this windshield is and what company installed it?
I honestly don't know. It was the P-PO who did it. I can try digging up receipts to find out though.

Oddly enough after I hit it back in there with my fist it hasn't leaked since and we have had some very heavy downpours here recently. \

-matt
Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

another thing you can do to replace the metal seal (without touching any other seal and the glass windshield) is to get the wire from Home Depot to stick into the hole (surround the windshield). I forgot the size but you can search on pp.com

Quick Reply: Windshield woes.