Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

81 911 SC Fuel Injector Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 81 911 SC Fuel Injector Replacement Question

I have new injectors and injector sleeves for my 81 911 SC Targa. It looks like the old injectors will come out relatively easily, but I'm concerned about digging out the old sleeves. Any tips on how to do that or concerns about chunks breaking off and falling into the cylinder?

Looking for a little guidance before I jump in. Thanks all!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Use a tapered easy-out, screw it into the sleeve, and pull - sometimes a vise-grip helps. If something falls in use a piece of wood dowel with a dab of grease on its end - anything inside will stick to the grease and come out on the end of the stick.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
genripper
Instructor

Brilliant! Thanks a million!

+1 for Kubica!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

Pete what about the "peened" metal around the edges to keep them in place ? I blocked the hole and used a dremmel on the tamped down metal. Then repunched it when I was done
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Pete what about the "peened" metal around the edges to keep them in place ? I blocked the hole and used a dremmel on the tamped down metal. Then repunched it when I was done
Those are a matter for a great debate! Sometimes they'll pop off when you pull the sleeve out, sometimes they're not big enough to matter, sometimes they can be removed with a light tap with a punch. You never know, but I've always experimented with the first sleeve, and then do the rest of them the same way. It's a bit of an imperfect solution that you have to decide how to deal with - I've done cars that the tabs were so small that I was able to get the old sleeves out, and the new sleeves in, without messing with them!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
genripper
Instructor

I can see one nice neat 1/16-1/8" stake mark on the edge of each injector hole, doesn't look like it is peened over very far. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

depends how hard helga hit it with the hammer i guess. Good luck ripper. I did this project a couple of years ago . it is very rewarding but those front 2 can be a bear.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
genripper
Instructor

I replaced my fuel injectors yesterday, along with the fuel filter and the vent hose from the back of the air boot to the oil tank. I did not replace the sleeves, as the little crimps wouldn't let them out and they looked pretty good on the inside, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Changing the injectors was pretty straightforward, as was the fuel filter. It's a little hard to know how much to wrench down on the fuel line fittings, and nothing appears to be leaking.

The car definitey runs better, seems to pull harder and smoother up through 4500 rpm than it did before, and seems to start better when warm.

As long as it doesn't leak and burn up, I'm in good shape. My wife was a little nervous when I put the fire extinguisher in the car....
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

If the sleeves were tight it's entirely possible that they've already been replaced; the new versions are very reliable and long life. If you still had the originals they would flop around in their holes...
Old 07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
genripper
Instructor

They slid up and down a bit, up to the crimp on the lip, but they were'nt loose or flopping around. So I think I'm ok.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter--------
If the sleeves were tight it's entirely possible that they've already been replaced; the new versions are very reliable and long life. If you still had the originals they would flop around in their holes
1. So, if I insert a dowel, drill bit shaft or other into the hole and do not get any movement, I should be good to go??
2. From your response, I take it that debris falling is is not that common?

Today, Your Book is quoted in a Denver Co. Criagslist ad re: the 911sc having a good engine. -----------------------------------------There is no escaping your realm. ------- Scary
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the intake runners and had to pound them out from the bottom. I used the opportunity to clean a ton of carbon out of the runners and around the sleeve seats.
David

Quick Reply: 81 911 SC Fuel Injector Replacement Question