Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Odd steering problem, opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 09:54 PM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Odd steering problem, opinions please.

The background first. 86 911 3.2 coupe. Daily driven, sits outside.

I put it in the garage overnight. The next day I pulled strait out to wash it, backed it strait back and there it sat for 4-5 hrs.
Left to go to a local car show and got about 200 yards from the house and noticed the steering felt like it was dragging or getting hung up on something. I came strait back checked air pressures. All looks fine and after I drove it a block all seemed ok. Then again on the way home the same thing happened. Its strange and hard to explain. Its like having power steering and having the fluid go out. Kind of a choppy feeling. Like its hanging up then freeing itself.

Sorry for the poor explination. TIA.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
RJ:

No apologies needed, Sir. Your description was helpful.

May I ask how many miles are on the car?

I would suggest that you lift the front end with a floor jack so that both front wheels are clear of the ground and see if they turn freely, left-to-right. Also, look at the steering rack boots on each side and see if they are damaged or torn in any way.

It sounds like steering rack failure, but you should check these things and let me know.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:51 AM
HJV11
Intermediate

Steve, Thank you for the quick responce. Yes I have a bazillion miles on the car. 302,000 to be exact Your answer was what I expected, but secretly hoped not to hear. LOL
I will lift the front end today and check it out. Guess I will do some studying on rack removal.
Thanks again for your quick responce.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 AM
HJV11
Intermediate

Quick update;
I have the car in the air and all looks great! Both steering rack boots look to be in fantastic shape. when I turn from lock to lock in the air there is zero drag or ANY notice of hang up at all. I have the access plate off of the steering shaft and both U-joints. All looks factory new. I have to say that from the looks of the boots I would not be surprised to find out that the rack has been replaced in the past.I watched the movement as I turned the wheels with my hand from the outside and nothing looks out of place. Hmmmmmmm
BTW the PO took VERY good care of this car and was proactive with all maintenance. But I have no way to contact him to find out if the rack was replaced at any time.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
RJ:

Thanks for the update.

If there is nothing dragging like wheel bearings, brake calipers, or such things and the tires are not rubbing, I'd venture that the pinion bearings inside the rack may be done and its new rack time.

For sure, I'd contact the PO to see if this was ever done. At those miles, this would not be unusual.

Quick Reply: Odd steering problem, opinions please.