Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! how do you remove the door handle pin ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! how do you remove the door handle pin ....

Ok, I am totally stumped on this and I don't want to force anything for fear of breaking something. I want to remove the black door handle as I am already trouble shooting a window electrical problem. I took off the pins and freed the handle but I can't figure out how to angle it so that it can be taken out of the door. I can slide the pin up or down and get oh so close to angling it out but am a hair shy. Do I push it further? I am worried about snapping something. Any help appreciated. Andrew
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Assuming you're referring to your 1989 Cabriolet? I would not remove the door handle from the door covering, myself. It should be left on the leather door covering, along with the door pocket. To remove the entire assembly you should remove about 5 Phillips screws from along the bottom, the screw that goes through the black plastic post on the leading edge of the door pocket (open area), the screws (2) that secure the door pocket hinge to the door, and two allen headed bolts that go through the door handle. With a small screwdriver, flick up the release pin from the handle itself so that you can withdraw the entire assembly. Along the top you want to remove the trim piece (one screw at one end, and a second at the other under the little plastic cap). Lift that trim piece off and remove it entirely, and then remove the door cover. Deal with the door handle on the door trim assembly.

When putting the door control back together merely position the opening rod in such a way that the L shaped rod it pointed downward. Then press it down into the door handle to secure it.

All of this assumes the "black door handle" to be the INSIDE handle.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Dan basically has it. Although I remember there being a screw that is hiding behind the black door lock ****.

If you have a Bentley it covers it (with pictures) quite well.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. That explains why I am not getting the clearance to remove the pin. I did start to take everything off but it didn't seem to make sense so I reversed my steps thinking I was going down the wrong path. I guess I will remove it all.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for recalling the Phillips screw behind the locking ****. (I haven't had a 80s 911 in a few years). Was just from memory.

Quick Reply: Help! how do you remove the door handle pin ....