It's time to play "Name That Noise"

I'll start:

Chain Tensioner

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 06-01-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Took Better Video
Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't all cell phone vids sound like that?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took Better Video
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Turn that thing OFF!

I read another post, the one about the tensioner party. I could not remember if you said that you thought it was left or right side, or didn't say, meaning both to be replaced. It sounds sort of like some of the failed tensioners that I have heard over the years, but it is different sounding. It lacks the continual rhythm, like most that I have heard before. Have you listened to each sides chain cover with a stethoscope? The sound will be very similar to a chainsaw that has no oil or grease for the bar. You can hear the very distinctive sound by listening through the covers, a bad "wurring" type sound. The sound with the video almost has a bad bearing type of sound, being it has that heavier "clunk" along with a dry bearing type of noise. If I were closer, I would really like to be there for the festivities!
I have manufactured some Carrera type tensioner, fixture tools that make the swap out a snap, but I am still waiting on the rest of the paperwork from D.C. before I can send them out to anyone. They take all of the guess work problems of securing the parts from movement, in just a minute or so, and they won't allow for any movement of the sprockets or chains, and you don't have to have wire ties stuck all over the place or vice-grips trying to hold things. Where I live, there are very few Porsche vehicles, in the area, or the entire state for that matter. I hope all goes well with the change out. The hardest part is all of the peripheral parts that have to be removed to allow access to te covers and the tensioners inside. Enjoy. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Wow I have never heard a chain tensiner fail , but if that is what it is it sounds nothing like I would have expected. It will be interesting to hear what Steve an Pete have to say also .
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. Make sure that you remove the A/C and alternator belts and run it again.

When a Carrera Tensioner fails it won't sound the same as an early style tensioner failure. The C-ten has a bit of spring action that holds the chain tighter than an early ten, which can completely collapse.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Interesting. Make sure that you remove the A/C and alternator belts and run it again.
Dr. PZ

There is a Porsche God and he/she sent his/her angel, Peter Zimmermann.

Just to make me feel more miserable then I already did. This evening around 10:00PM, I skeptically drug my but out to my baby and proceeded to lay out my tools. To add more salt to the wound I started her to hope in vain to see if the rattling/noise just happened to disappear. No luck still there and louder

As instructed, I removed both belts.

Started her, NO MORE NOISE I mean I never heard my engine so quite. Could hardly hear the tappet noise.

I put a stethescope to both cam chain boxes, quite as whispering wind, not even a spec of metal to metal sound just the sweet sound of a properly functioning cam chain system.

Process of Elimination:

Fan Belt/Alternator

Luckily, I had my back up New Genuine Porsche Fan Belt, torqued to 29.5 lbs with 1/4-1/2 movement at center of the belt. No Noise. Stop and Started several times to make sure.

A/C Condensor Motor

While my buddy Rnln was on the phone, I placed the A/C Belt back on and EUREKA! Ratt Tatt Tatt..... I don't know why I am so happy but damn, what a wonderfull feeling even though I have to replace the Condensor and flush the A/C line it has to be better than working on the Cam Chain System.

Now to rebuild the Condensor or Place a new Updated one?

Gentelmen, my sincere thanks to you all and especially those who directed me to go through the process of elimination.

Sincerely Gratefull,

Jim
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Jim,

I'm glad to hear it wasn't the tensioner

John
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Good for you man ... always hope for the best , but prepare for the worst.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

"The sound with the video almost has a bad bearing type of sound, being it has that heavier "clunk" along with a dry bearing type of noise."

Glad you found the culprit.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete's "the man"......it's amazing how these noises are sourced, eh?

Best,
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

yeap, Pete usually know what he's talking about. If he appear, most of the time it'll work

Quick Reply: Name That Noise